On 13 May 2020, the government published a ministerial statement on planning and construction working hours. This statement allowed Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) to approve requests to extend construction working hours to 9PM Monday to Saturday. This measure is to ensure safe working in line with social distancing guidelines.
A further updated ministerial statement on this guidance was published on 25 March 2021.
A temporary fast track deemed consent route under section 74B of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 is still in effect.
The expectations are that the local planning authority will:
- approve requests, unless there are compelling reasons against
- agree modest or short-term changes informally within ten days
- use discretion not to enforce violations
- issue decisions within 14 days
- object only if there is a significant impact on businesses or uses (for example, care homes) and only if noise, vibration, dust cannot be overcome by mitigation.