Complaining about council services

You should only use this form to make a complaint. If you want to request a service or report a problem, such as a missed rubbish collection or a pothole, please visit our report it page instead. Your report will go straight to the relevant team who will be able to help.

We aim to respond to complaints within 10 working days.

If you are unhappy with our services please tell us. We want to know so we can try to put things right.

Stage 1 – make a complaint

When you are unhappy with our services you can make a complaint. The service will investigate your complaint and aim to reply within 10 working days. You will be told when a reply will take more than 10 working days and given a date to expect a reply.

We’re making changes to our complaints procedure. At the moment, we have three different ways of making a complaint, depending on the service you want to complain about. Please read this page carefully so you use the correct process for the service you are complaining about.

Waste complaints

If you want to make a complaint about our waste and recycling service use our online complaints form:

make a waste complaint sign in to MyAccount to report a missed collection

Our new complaints system

You can use our new complaints system to complain about:

  • environmental protection, licensing and other environmental services
  • benefits
  • Council Tax
  • school transport
  • business rates
  • housing
  • planning and building control
  • blue badges
  • Diamond Travelcard
complain about a council service

North Somerset Council is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office for the purposes of processing personal data. The information you provide will be held and used in accordance with UK and European data protection law. For further details on how we use your personal information in the delivery of customer services, please read our full privacy notice. If you have any concerns about how your personal data is handled, please contact the data protection officer at

Complaints about highways and other council services not included in our new complaints system

For all other complaints about council services use our online complaints form.

complain about highways and other council services

Stage 2 – ask our chief executive to investigate

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your stage 1 complaint, you can ask our chief executive to investigate. She will aim to reply within 17 working days. A service must have had the opportunity to respond to your complaint before advancing to a stage 2 investigation.

make a stage 2 complaint

Stage 3 – contact the Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the response from our chief executive you can send your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. Before referring to the Ombudsman, you must have been through the first two stages in our complaints procedure.