Our main goal in developing a GI strategy is to:
- protect and enhance the Green Infrastructure network within North Somerset
- form a vital contribution to the council's vision for: ‘An open, fairer, greener North Somerset’
- support the Council's declaration of a climate and nature emergency in 2019 and 2020
In our view, the development of a robust GI strategy, which produces well planned and managed green infrastructure, is crucial in tackling the climate emergency.
We aim to use the strategy to inform our decision making, planning policy, and development management. We think this will create a healthier and more attractive place for residents, with better access to nature and high-quality open spaces. It will also improve biodiversity across the region.
The strategy will also:
- set out the GI network in North Somerset and provide a framework for GI improvements for both people and wildlife
- support and help deliver the requirements of both national and local policy and strategies
We have developed this strategy in agreement with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF). The NPPF requires local authorities to set out a strategic approach to green infrastructure in their Local Plans.
It also draws support from the West of England Joint Green Infrastructure Strategy (JGIS) (2020-2030) and feeds into the North Somerset Local plan (2023-2038).
The draft strategy includes an action plan to achieve eight main objectives.