Licence to place objects or structures on the highway

You need this licence if you wish to place objects or structures on the highway, such as:

  • building materials
  • hoardings
  • mobile elevated work platforms
  • scaffolding
  • skips
  • a tower crane oversailing the highway

Applications must be made by the company providing the service or carrying out the work and

  • be made at least five working days before they are needed but four week's notice for an oversailing licence
  • sent in with the applicable fee
  • we must hold a valid copy of the company’s public liability insurance (to be emailed annually to upon renewal), with a minimum value of £5m

If you have not had a response within five working days (or four weeks for oversailing), contact us at You cannot proceed until you have heard from us.

Permits can be granted for a minimum of one day up to a maximum of one month.

We reserve the right to remove objects or structures on the highway without a permit (fees including any storage may apply).