What is Council Tax support and who can claim

What it is

Council Tax support can help people who have little or no income to pay their council tax. We will not pay money to you but we will credit your Council Tax account. This will reduce the amount you have to pay.

Council Tax support is means-tested so the amount of Council Tax you pay will depend on your income.

If you are working age, Council Tax support is a maximum of 72.5%. This means if your annual Council Tax bill is £1000, you may get up to £725 Council Tax support. The scheme will provide 100% protection to pensioners.

Who can claim

If you are working age you will have to make a contribution towards your Council Tax bill.

You cannot claim Council Tax support if you and/or your partner:

  • have more than £16,000 in combined savings
  • are not liable to pay Council Tax
  • are from abroad, and are subject to immigration control

Your combined savings is the total amount of money you and/or your partner have in all of these:

  • cash
  • bank current accounts, deposit accounts and savings accounts
  • National Savings accounts and certificates
  • Giro bank accounts and building society accounts
  • Post Office accounts
  • ISA accounts and Premium Bonds
  • shares and unit trusts
  • equity of land and buildings

Students who can claim

You can claim Council Tax support if you:

  • are a part-time student
  • are under the age of 20 in further education
  • are of pensionable age
  • are disabled
  • are in receipt of Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance (income based) or Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • have children
  • have a non-student partner

Some students are exempt from paying Council Tax, or receive a discount. You may also receive a discount if you have an adult student living with you.