Welcome to my world
The support available for deaf people in North Somerset will be highlighted during Deaf Awareness Week from Monday 6 to Friday 10 May.
The theme this year is ‘welcome to my world’ with the week showcasing the work that various organisations undertake to support people with hearing impairments.
Four main events will be taking place in Weston-super-Mare and Clevedon during the week:
- Monday 6 May – a team with hearing dogs will be in Weston High Street from 11am-12.30pm handing out leaflets.
- Wednesday 8 May – a ‘meet the services’ day at the Town Hall from 10am-3pm. Representatives from various organisations will be there to meet the deaf community. Organisations will include Action on Hearing Loss who will be offering free online hearing checks, Citizens Advice North Somerset, Avon Fire and Rescue who will take referrals for smoke alarms that assist deaf and hearing impaired people, the Deaf Equipment Service and Hearing Dogs for Deaf People who train dogs to alert deaf people to sounds they would otherwise miss.
- Thursday 9 May – a ‘celebration day’ from 10am-2pm at the Sovereign Centre. Meet hearing dog Gus, see how equipment and services can help people at home, find out about British Sign Language and lip reading courses available in North Somerset, try lip reading games and ‘experience’ dual sensory loss.
- Friday 10 May – a ‘communication day’ with deaf and deaf/blind awareness sessions and British Sign Language taster sessions provided by Weston College and Sense, a dual sensory impairment charity based in Bristol. These will take place at Castlewood, Clevedon in the morning and the Town Hall, Weston in the afternoon. To book in advance call or text 07917 265 576.
Pupils at primary schools including Ashcombe, Mendip Green and Uphill will enjoy signed story sessions organised by Weston College with the help of deaf story tellers, interpreters, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People and hearing dog Cazzie.
Additional activities organised by the deaf community in May include:
- Monday 13 May – hard of hearing group are meeting in the community room at Vision North Somerset (3 Neva Road, Weston) from 2-4pm. Call or text 07917 265 576 if you would like to join them.
- Thursday 16 May – Communication Café at Coffee#1, 18 High Street, Weston from 10am-noon. Come along for a coffee/tea and some communication!
- Tuesday 21 May – deaf pub are meeting at SASS bar (16–18 South Parade, Weston) any time after 7pm. All welcome for a sociable evening communicating in British Sign Language.
For more information about Deaf Awareness Week and the support groups available in North Somerset go to www.n-somerset.gov.uk/daw2019.