Religious education and collective worship
Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
The Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education is a statutory body that provides advice on religious education and collective worship.
The council meets three times a year and consists of four committees representing:
- Christian and other religious denominations
- the Church of England
- the teachers’ associations
- the local authority
The council aims to make sure schools are:
- aware of the value of religious education and collective worship, especially in contributing to pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- challenged to provide high-quality collective worship and religious education which meets the requirements of the local syllabus
- provided with information, in-service training opportunities and professional advice
We must review the local syllabus for religious education every five years.
01934 634 916
To support religious education and collective worship in schools the group holds regular training events for teachers, head teachers, governors and other group members.
Materials for the latest training events are found on the Awareness Mystery Value website.