Doing your research

You can find applications for any property within the district on our planning map such as:

  • ​the application reference number
  • the location address
  • a short description of the development
  • the date it was decided
  • the council’s decision


look for an application

Planning case files

Most applications received since the year 2000 can be viewed on our website. Older files are kept on microfiche and can be seen when asked for.

look for an application

We do not keep a full version of case files in paper form.

Contact us to ask for copies of documents – make sure you include the reference number of the application and which documents you would like. Charges apply and documents will be sent within 10 working days with an invoice. Library members can ask for documents to be printed in any of our libraries (A4 size only – charges apply).

contact us

Permitted development rights

When planning permission is given, conditions might be included which remove permitted development rights. This means planning permission is needed for the type of development referred to in a condition. Use our planning map to find out if there are any planning approvals on a property. The decision notice will list any conditions.

If there is a condition removing permitted development rights you need to ask:

  • ​​does the type of development referred to in the condition relate to what you want to do?
  • was the development for which permission was granted ever started?

If the answer to either of these questions is ‘no’, permitted development rights for your proposal have not been removed.

Article 4 directions

Planning conditions

You can ask us for written confirmation that a condition has been met.

Planning obligations or legal agreements

You can ask us for:

  • confirmation that a planning obligation or legal agreement has been met
  • confirmation that a planning obligation or legal agreement relates to a property
  • a copy of a planning obligation or legal agreement
get a copy

Planning designations

Use our planning map to find out if planning designations apply (green belt, public rights of way or listed buildings).

Property ownership

We do not keep records of private ownership. To find out if land or property is owned by us contact

property and asset management

01934 634 638

Adopted roads

To find out which roads are maintained by us use:

For advice contact:

highway searches

Include a map or plan of the area of interest with your search request.

Planning permission

Authorised planning use

We do not keep a register of authorised use because use of a property can be changed without telling us.

ask for our opinion on planning use

Our opinion is non-binding and is based on information given.

If you want an existing use formalised, apply for a lawful development certificate.