Householder applications

To submit a valid planning application you need to send us:

You will also need to send us the following supporting documents when your proposals meet the stated criteria.

If any of these items are not included with your application, you will need to explain why. Not providing information may result in your application being delayed or refused.

design and access statement

Needed when any part of the site is within a conservation area. Use our planning map to find out if your property is in a conservation area.

flood risk assessment

Needed for proposals in flood zones 2 or 3 (including 3a and 3b). Use our planning map to find out which flood zone you are in.

flood evacuation plan

Needed for developments within flood zones 2 and 3 that do not give internal access to a first floor.

bat survey

Needed for works to weatherboarding, hanging tiles or pitched roofs (except for roofs covered with prefabricated stell or sheet materials for:

  • buildings outside the designated boundaries of Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon, Portishead and Nailsea built before 1970.
  • buildings inside the boundaries of Weston-Super-Mare, Clevedon, Portishead and Nailsea within 100m of woodland (an area of trees of 0.5 hectares or more) or next to a significant body of fresh water, or was built before 1900.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) additional information form

Required for applications to extend existing dwellings.

tree survey

Needed when there are trees in an application site, or on land nearby (including trees in neighbouring gardens and streets), that could be affected by the development (including works such as site access, service routes and site compounds) and that have a stem diameter greater than 75mm when measured at 1.5m about ground level.

You will also need to get listed building consent when our property is a listed building. Use the application form for planning permission and listed building consent. You will need to send us a:

We will also need you to send us supporting documents, as described for householder applications, when your proposals meet the criteria.

street scene

Needed for large side extensions that will be near to neighbouring buildings.

existing and proposed site sections and levels

Are needed for all proposals constructed on land which:

  • is sloping
  • is next to land that is at a different level
  • propose to change ground levels.

joinery drawings

Needed for applications to install new windows and doors, or replace internal windows and doors.

If you do not include any of these items you need to explain why. Not providing information may result in an application being refused.

roof plans

Are needed when complex roof alterations are proposed.

listed buildings

If the property is a listed building you will need to get listed building consent.

If you are still unsure about what you need to include with your planning application, you can pay to use our pre-submission validity checking service.