Change of use from agricultural building to housing using permitted development rights

Permitted development allows you to change the use of agricultural buildings to housing without full planning permission. Minor building and demolition works, linked to a change of use, are also allowed as long as you apply for, and are given, prior approval before starting any works.


Permitted development rights do not apply in:

  • conservation areas
  • areas​ of outstanding natural beauty
  • sites of special scientific interest
  • safety hazard areas
  • scheduled monuments or sites
  • listed buildings (including curtilage listed buildings)

Detailed guidance for planning professionals