The sustainability appraisal (SA) process is a process that aims to ensure that all significant plans and programmes that relate to land use issues are compatible with the aims of sustainable development. This scoping report sets out a framework for how the SA will be carried out for the new local plan.
Some of the issues the plan will be considering are how to:
- work towards the council’s target to be carbon neutral by 2030
- make sure we provide for the right type and number of homes, in the right places, to meet the needs of the people who live here now and in the future
- allocate space for business and set out what other infrastructure is needed to support economic growth and the new homes
- allocate sites for other land uses where these are known, including retail, community facilities, transport, local waste and minerals
- update or create planning policies to make sure all new buildings are high quality and of sustainable design, and to protect North Somerset’s natural and built environments
- address flooding and drainage issues
We first published a scoping report in March 2020. You can read the comments we received on it and view the updated scoping report below.