Street names and numbers

As well as making sure properties can be easily identified, accurate address records help the emergency services find properties easily when they need to. We name and number new streets and properties as well as renaming existing properties. Royal Mail allocate postcodes to addresses.

We will notify electoral services, the Council Tax team and the emergency services of the new or changed address(es) free of charge.

When the documents for the new or changed address(es) are complete, we can provide you with Royal Mail’s email or postal address so you can tell them yourself, free of charge, if you prefer.

For the optional notification fee, we automatically notify the following organisations of the new or changed address(es) :

  • Royal Mail
  • Valuation Office
  • Western Power
  • Bristol Water

If you wish to pay the optional notification fee and can do so online with a card, please use the most appropriate form. When you complete your application it will automatically be sent to the team to process:

apply to rename an existing property request a new address

If you wish to pay the fee but would prefer to receive an invoice, or if you do not wish to pay the fee, you need to send us a written request via email which includes the following information:

  •  any relevant planning permission reference numbers
  • details about whether or not any units have been classed as affordable housing and which plots these relate to
  • a suggested house name or, for new developments, a street name. All names will be checked for suitability – for new street names we consult with the local town or parish council. We may need to advertise the road name(s) for 21 days
  • the date you need the new address by
  • a contact telephone number
  • an email confirming that you are the property owner

You’ll also need to tell us whether or not you want to pay the optional notification fee and if relevant an invoice address (explained above).

If you need to allocate addresses to new flats, you also need to send us an email with:

  • plans which clearly identify each flat and its floor level – if the plans on the planning application contain this information we are happy to use them
  • information about whether each flat has its own letterbox or shares a letterbox – please provide this information for each flat

If your property already has a name you can change or remove it. If your property only has a number, you can add a property name as an alias but the number will remain as the primary address. A number cannot be removed.

Please note that property names which include reference to the following words are becoming very common: ‘Barn’, ‘Coach House’, ‘Stables’ and ‘New House’ or ‘New Bungalow’. Please reconsider submitting any addresses which include reference to these words which could lead to issues with the attendance of the Emergency Services and the delivery of mail to both new and existing properties of a similar name.

It will take five to six weeks to create new addresses or change house names, which do not require a new street name. The allocation of new street names will take longer.

Without an official address you may experience issues obtaining recycling and waste containers.  Once you have been allocated an address, instructions will be provided as to how you can set up a Council Tax account and then provide this reference to our recycling and waste team so that you can order the relevant waste bins and boxes.

You can find our street naming policy on the roads and places page:

We are not responsible for any delays in valuing a property, which is dealt with by the Valuation Office who can be contacted on 03000 501 501.

Valuation Office website

street naming and property numbering enquiries

01275 888 761 or 01934 634 942

Street name plates

We provide and maintain one street name plate at each end of a street, except for private streets. Street name plates are made from recycled material and damaged or faded plates are replaced as soon as possible.

To report a problem with a street name plate you will need to register and sign in to MyAccount.

sign in to report a missing or damaged street name plate