Although our laboratory is a small facility, our experienced staff have worked across the range of highway activities including
- management of local authority networks and the production of design for maintenance schemes
- supervision and planning of major surfacing contracts
- quality assurance testing for bituminous material production and product development.
As well as the UKAS accredited range of tests, we are also able to offer other testing. Demand for these tests is generally lower and would not justify us obtaining UKAS accreditation. However, they are still subject to the same quality system and calibration regime as the accredited tests. Examples include
- measurement of skid resistance using the TRL pendulum kid checker to Road Note 27
- measurement of the rate of spread of pre coated chippings
- moisture content of salt used for winter maintenance operations
- road hardness assessment to BS 598 Pt 112:2004
- residual binder content of bond coats.
Thanks to our long established links with other test laboratories, we can organise obscure or difficult to source tests for a wide variety of materials and processes. Using a partner laboratory means we can deliver a client’s total requirements with a one stop approach, even when we can’t undertake all the work ourselves.
Designers need detailed information for new construction and maintenance works. By using our purpose built coring rig, our laboratory team can provide detailed information about the existing construction and identify tar which may need separate treatment.
Our laboratory also has equipment to provide estimated CBR’s which can confirm if the existing foundation is still fit for purpose. The same equipment can be used to investigate pavement failures, and we have staff available to interpret the results and provide advice on remedial treatments.