Report a noise nuisance

Councils must look into complaints about noise that could be a statutory nuisance (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).

For the noise to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health.

Where possible we will try to resolve noise problems informally. If this doesn’t work we can take action to stop the noise nuisance. We can investigate:

  • continuous dog barking
  • continuous sounding of car or house alarms
  • DIY activities for prolonged periods of time or at unreasonable hours
  • loud amplified music or loud TV
  • commercial noise – for example from construction sites or demolition work
  • licensed premises noise – for example from pubs and clubs.

Noise can become a nuisance depending on:

  • how often the noise occurs
  • how loud it is
  • the time of day
  • the nature of the area – rural, residential etc
  • whether or not the sound has a particularly irritating characteristic – high pitched, heavy bass etc.

Noise recording app

Once you have registered a complaint with us, you will be able to submit noise recordings using the Noise App on your phone.

You will be asked to sign up for an account before completing the form.

The app is free to download:

Further information can be found on the Noise App user guide below. 

How to report

You can report a noise nuisance to us through the form below. 

Complaints about aircraft noise should be referred to the Civil Aviation Authority.