Definitive map

The definitive map records all public rights of way and proves that they legally exist. The physical map can be viewed by appointment only between 9.30am-noon and 2-4pm Monday to Friday.

Highways across private land

Under section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980, landowners can make a statement and map acknowledging any dedicated highways across their land.

They can then submit a declaration that states no additional routes across the land will be made into highways within 20 years of this statement being made. This helps protect land against claims to add public rights of way across it to the definitive map.

Submit the form with a landowner statement.

Changing the definitive map

The definitive map and statement can only be legally changed by a definitive map modification order or public path order. Work should not begin on the ground until an order has been confirmed.

Modification orders

Modification orders make legal changes to the definitive map and statement relating to claimed routes or changes to a route already recorded. There is no charge for a modification application, the process is lengthy and it may be several years before applications are decided.

Public path orders

Public path orders are used to create new paths and make changes to existing routes under the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. If you believe that you have a right to use a path that is not shown on the definitive map, you can apply to have it added.

Council Connect

01275 888 802