Council Tax and how it is calculated
Council Tax rates
The amount you pay in Council Tax depends on the value of your home. Your home is put in one of eight council tax property bands and you pay the rate given to that band.
Bands are based on the estimated value of your property on 1 April 1991. Properties built after this date are valued as if they existed on 1 April 1991. Property bands are:
- band A – up to £40,000
- band B – £40,001 to £52,000
- band C – £52,001 to £68,000
- band D – £68,001 to £88,000
- band E – £88,001 to £120,000
- band F – £120,001 to £160,000
- band G – £160,001 to £320,000
- band H – more than £320,000
Bands are set by the government’s Valuation Office Agency.