Council Tax discounts, exemptions and support
Council Tax discounts
Some people are entitled to a discount on their Council Tax bill.
Single person discount
Council Tax bills are worked out assuming two adults live in a property. If you are the only adult in your home, you can apply for a single person discount, which gives you a 25% reduction.
You’ll need to log in to or register for MyAccount to apply for a discount. MyAccount is a quick and safe way to manage your Council Tax online.sign into MyAccount to apply for single person discount
If two adults live in your home and one is a full-time student, you may be able to get a student discount. The student must be taking a course of at least 21 hours a week for 24 weeks a year.
If three adults live in your home and one of you is a student, you won’t be entitled to a student discount.
If you think you are eligible for a student discount, upload a copy of your student certificate.upload your evidence to apply for a student discount
Severe cognitive disorder discount
There are also discounts for people who have a severe cognitive disorder. Complete our online form to apply for a discount.
If you don’t have access to the internet, you can visit one of our libraries and use a computer for free.apply for a severe cognitive disorder discount
People who don’t pay Council Tax
Some people are entitled to a full discount and will not need to pay Council Tax at all. You could be entitled to a full discount if:
- you are a patient in hospital for a long time
- you are being looked after in a care home
- you are staying in a hostel or night shelter
- you are 18 or 19 and still in education
- you are a care worker on a very low income
- you are caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- you are a member of visiting armed forces or certain international institutions
- you are a member of a religious community
- you are in prison (unless you are in prison for not paying your Council Tax or a fine)
If you have an empty property
You could receive a discount if your property is unoccupied.
If you get a discount on your Council Tax, we will carry out regular reviews to make sure you’re still entitled to it.
We’ll contact you and ask you to complete a review. If you don’t reply to us, your discount will end and a new Council Tax bill will be issued to you.
If your circumstances change, you must tell us straight away.tell us about a change in your circumstances