Public space protection orders
Everywhere in the open air in North Somerset, where the general public is allowed to be, is subject to a public space protection order. This includes places where the public have had to pay to enter.
This order states that you must:
- pick up the poo of any dog(s) that you are in charge of
- carry – and produce when asked to do so – a dog poo bag
- put your dog(s) on a lead when asked to do so by an authorised officer
- not leave litter
- not urinate or defecate in public
- not trade on public property without a pedlars licence or street trading consent
- stop consuming alcohol or psychoactive substances (such as nitrous oxide) when asked to do so by an authorised officer
- surrender alcohol or psychoactive substances (such as nitrous oxide) when asked to do so by an authorised officer
Anyone who fails to comply, without reasonable excuse, is in breach unless specific exemptions apply within the order.
In 2018, we successfully prosecuted a man who failed to pay a penalty notice after dropping a cigarette: