In the summer of 2020 we installed temporary barriers outside several schools across the district. Since then we have been working with schools to make the schemes more permanent, in many cases through the installation of planters and traffic orders.
At several locations we have designated key roads closest to schools as pedestrian and cycling zones. This means that unless there is a legal exception, vehicles are not permitted between 8am and 4pm.
We are working our way through the temporary schemes at schools to replace barriers and upgrade signage and have completed the following schemes:
- All Saints School – pedestrian and cycling zone on All Saints Lane
- Backwell School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Meadow Close
- Clevedon School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Valley Road, and junction realignment introduced to make it safer for cyclists leaving the school
- Crockerne Church of England Primary School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Westward Drive between Crockerne Drive and Cross Lanes
- Gordano School – pedestrian and cycling zone installed on Greenfield Park, waiting restrictions on Clevedon Road to improve traffic flow and planters along St Mary’s Road junction to limit parents dropping off and picking up
- High Down Junior and Infant Schools – pedestrian and cycling zones on Tower Road (including High View, Ridge Close, Hilltop), Downleaze and The Deans
- St John the Evangelist Church School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Fosseway between Camplins and Wickwar
- St Nicholas Chantry School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Highdale Avenue (part leading to the school)
- St Peters School – pedestrian and cycling zones on Hallett’s Way, Norfolk Road, Forester Road and Richmond Close
- West Leigh Infant School – pedestrian and cycling zone on Westfield Drive
- Worle Village Primary School – one-way system on Hill Road with carriageway markings for pedestrians
- Yatton Junior & Infant Schools – pedestrian and cycling zone on Stowey Road between Well Lane and Cherry Grove
We are still working on schemes for:
- Milton Park School
- Wrington Primary School
- St Nicholas Chantry School – Old Street
- Churchill Academy – walking and pedestrian route improvements
We will be continuing to develop schemes over the coming months.