Giving notice of marriage

Unfortunately we’re unable to take notices of marriage at the moment.

Before marriages or civil partnerships take place, you must give notice in person that you intend to marry.

The minimum notice period is 29 days but do not leave it this late. You can give notice up to a year before the ceremony date. If you are getting married in the Church of England and banns are to be called, you do not usually need to contact us or give notice of your marriage.

You can only give notice if you are legally free to marry or enter into a civil partnership. Only British citizens or European Union nationals can give notice in North Somerset. If either party is not British or an European Union national, notice must be given at a specially designated register office.

If you live in different registration districts, each person must give notice in the district where they live. We advise that the person living in the district where the ceremony will take place gives notice first. The second party will be expected to give notice within a few days.

To give notice you need to provide:

  • documentary evidence of your age, identity and nationality – a current valid passport is preferred
  • proof of address – we accept driving licences, bank statements, council tax bills or letters from a government department
  • if you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to confirm that you are free to marry again. Show us a decree of absolute divorce, nullity bearing the court’s original stamp, or the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner. If the documents are not in English you will need to provide and English translation
  • documentary evidence that you have been resident for the minimum qualifying period
Please note that from November 1 2017 consideration of foreign divorce documents will be subject to a fee of £50. In some circumstances this may increase to £75 if the document needs to be referred to the General Register Office. The fee is payable at the time of the notice of marriage appointment, is non-refundable and does not guarantee approval of the documents. 
registration service
At the moment, we are only taking appointments to register a death.

Birth, notice of marriage and civil partnership appointments are currently unavailable.

If you need to register a death please call or email us.

01823 282 251

Make sure you bring everything you need, including the fee, to your appointment.