Street cafés and outdoor seating

You need this licence if you want to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the highway, pavements or public footpaths.

apply to place tables and chairs on the pavement on the Gov.UK website

Include with your application:

  • your application fee
  • any photographs, brochures or scaled drawings showing design, dimensions, colour and materials of your proposed furniture, enclosure, parasols, space heaters
  • public liability insurance certificate
  • sample copy of your menu for the proposed licensed area
  • health and safety risk assessments

If you have not heard from us by the end of the 42 day completion date you will be able to carry on as though your application has been granted. If your application is refused you can contact us to discuss your case.


Highways Act 1980

licensing team
Licensing, Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1UJ

01934 426 800

Last reviewed: Monday 15 February 2016