Section 50 Licence application (New Road and Street Works Act 1991)

If you want to carry out work to existing or install new equipment in a road that we look after, and you are not from a utility company (known as a ‘statutory undertaker’), you’ll need to apply to us for a Section 50 Licence (New Road and Street Works Act 1991).

You must apply and receive the licence before carrying out any works on the public highway.

It will take a minimum of four weeks to process your application, from the date it’s received by our street works team.

This increases to three months if you also need a Temporary Traffic Restriction Order (TTRO), such as a road closure, or if the works are due to take longer than 10 days.


If you are granted a Section 50 Licence you become a ‘works undertaker’. This means you become responsible for carrying out the duties and responsibilities under the New Road and Street Works Act (NRSWA) and associated codes of practice.

You may incur financial penalties where statutory duties and/or licence conditions are not met. This liability can not be delegated to any other person or organisation.


To apply download and complete our Section 50 Licence application pack.

Send your completed application to our street works team. You must send us your application at least four weeks before the date you want the works to start to allow us enough time to process it.

You must appoint a contractor who is NRSWA accredited and you can find a list of these on this website. Any completed application where a contractor does not meet the minimum requirements is likely to be refused.

apply for a Section 50 licence
street works enquiries

Once we have received your application and associated fee, we’ll check the information supplied is correct. If we need any more information we may contact you or your accredited contractor, depending on the enquiry.

If the application is approved, a signed copy of the licence – including any specific conditions – will be sent to you and your accredited contractor.

We will then contact you or your contractor to agree a start date.


For information about current costs, go to our ‘fees and charges’ page.