Roads and highway licences
Licence to place objects or structures on a highway
You need this licence if you wish to place objects or structures on the highway, such as:
- building materials
- mobile elevated work platforms
- skips, or
- a tower crane oversailing the highway
All applications must be made by the company providing the service or carrying out the work and;
- be made a minimum of five working days before they are needed
- sent in with the applicable fee
- we must hold a valid copy of the company’s public liability insurance (to be emailed annually to firstname.lastname@example.org upon renewal), with a minimum value of £5m
If you have not had a response within five working days, contact us at email@example.com . You cannot proceed until you have heard from us.
Permits can be granted for a minimum of one day up to a maximum of one month.
We reserve the right to remove objects or structures on the highway without a permit (fees including any storage may apply).
Application costs can be found in our list of fees and charges.
Highways Act 1980, Section 139, 140 and 140A
Chapter 8 Traffic Signs Manual
Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 34
Last reviewed: Monday 29 April 2019