Animals and animal-related activities
Dangerous wild animals
You need this licence if you are privately keeping a dangerous wild animal and you are not running a circus, pet shop or zoo.
Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
Refer to the schedule within the legislation for the list of animals covered by this licence.
- you must be over 18 and be the keeper of the animal(s)
- you must have public liability insurance against injury or damage caused by the animal
- a vet must inspect the facilities and animal(s) before we decide on the licence
- we must be satisfied that keeping the animal does not pose a risk to public safety and cause nuisance
- you must take precautions to ensure adequate safe accommodation of the animal(s) and there are prevention measures to stop spread of disease
- suitable fire/emergency procedures must be in place
Any issues, contact the food and safety team.
01934 888 802
Last reviewed: 25 February 2016