Work for the town centre improvement scheme is to begin in Weston-super-Mare’s town centre. Our plan will see improvements to walkways, cycle paths, and bus access. The goal is to to help increase visitors to the town centre, and aid economic development. The works will run from February - November 2021.
The project will include:
- enhancing cycling and pedestrian links across the town centre
- centralising bus stops in one place on Regent Street, to make the use of public transport easier
- changes to the road layout of Alexandra Parade and Walliscote Road to reduce traffic volume
- simpler access for pedestrians to the town centre
- increasing the trees in the town centre
- reducing the impact of lorries in the daytime, this includes:
- introducing loading access to a new pedestrian zone on Regent Street
- loading times and dedicated loading bays on the outskirts of the pedestrian zone
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, extra safety measures have been put in place to deliver the project safely, on time and on budget. This has resulted in changes to the original plans for Station Road. The scheme will now be between Walliscote Road junction and Graham Road, with the dual carriageway unchanged.
The project is being funded by a £6.8m grant from the Department for Transport, Local Growth Fund and Historic England.