Help with benefits on MyAccount

I have started a benefits claim and want to complete it, but I can’t find it or the page times out

If you have started a claim but not completed it, you will be able to continue your application by selecting ‘Housing Benefit claim’ in the ‘my history’ section which can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the MyAccount home page.

I can’t register my joint housing benefit claim

The claim needs to be registered with the MyAccount that is in the name of the main claimant.

I can’t complete my change in circumstances because the option is greyed out

You need to have registered your claim reference number on MyAccount. You can do this under the benefit services option. Your claim reference number can be found on any letters we have sent to you.