Reducing and reusing waste
About reducing and reusing waste
Residents of North Somerset have helped the council achieve a recycling rate of 60%, making it the highest performing unitary authority in the country.
However, about half the rubbish thrown into the black bins could still have been recycled.
Reducing the amount of waste you produce helps to save money and the environment.
The cost of waste disposal to landfill is £105 per tonne. Whereas waste reduction, reuse and recycling is free. By reducing or reusing your unwanted items it will save you and the council money.
Local reuse and recycling events
We have worked with Changing Lives to organise local reuse and recycling events to take place accross North Somerset:
- Thursday 20 September from 8am to noon at Winscombe Community Centre, Sandford Road, Winscombe BS25 1JA
- Monday 24 September from 4.30 to 6pm at Clevedon Town Council, Old Street, Clevedon BS21 6BU
- Wednesday 26 September from 4.30 to 6pm at Hangstones Pavilion, Stowey Road, Yatton BS49 4HS
- Wednesday 3 October from 4.30 to 6pm at Wrington Memorial Hall, Silver Street, Wrington BS40 5QE
- Monday 8 October from 4 to 6pm at Long Ashton Community Centre, Keedwell Hill, Long Ashton BS41 9DP
- Friday 12 October from 4 to 6.30pm at Felton Village Hall, West Lane, Felton BS40 9UP
Bring along your unwanted furniture and items suitable for reuse along with any small broken or unwanted electrical items such as toasters and hair dryers. Items collected at these events will be checked by Changing Lives then resold within their stores or taken to be recycled at our recycling centres. If you are unable to attend or have very large items, you can take items to a recycling centre direct or book a bulky waste collection by calling 01934 888 802.
Reuse at our recycling centres
We now have a reuse facility at our recycling centres. You can take good quality, reusable items to the centres where they will be reused locally.
If you’re not sure if your items are reusable or where to take reusable items at your local recycling centre please ask a member of staff.