Disabled parking permits (blue badges)
You may be entitled to a permit if:
- you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- you receive a war pensioners’ mobility supplement
- you use a vehicle for disabled people supplied by a government health department
- you are registered as blind
- you have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel by hand even if the wheel is fitted with a turning knob
- you have a permanent and substantial disability which leaves you unable to walk or you have difficulty walking
How to apply
There is a £10 charge for all disabled parking permit applications.
To renew your blue badge or if you have moved to North Somerset from another area, complete a new application four to eight weeks before your current badge expires.
You should receive your new badge one to two weeks before your current badge expires.
Expired badges can be returned by post to: North Somerset Council, Blue Badges, PO BOX 53, Town Hall, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1ZX.
Using the permit
Having a disabled parking permit is not a licence to park your vehicle anywhere – some restrictions still apply. We cannot accept responsibility for fines incurred by permit holders who park their vehicles illegally.
You must not lend your parking permit to friends or family members or allow them to abuse the scheme. If you do, your permit may be withdrawn and you could face prosecution.
It is a criminal offence for able-bodied people to use a disabled parking permit and any offence can lead to a fine of up to £1,000.