Highway engineering jobs
Our offer at a glance
- competitive pay
- relocation package
- generous annual leave
- excellent local government pension scheme
- interesting and varied workload
- first class training and development including career grade
- family friendly policies and flexible working
- employee assistance programme including access to free counselling
- an employer committed to equality and diversity
- attractive area to live and work
- Career grade posts: £16,231-£36,571
- Lead Technical Engineer: £37,483-£41,140
Financial support up to the value of £6,000 may be available to help with relocation and removal expenses.
24, 26 or 28 days annual leave increasing by five days after five years continuous service, eight statutory holidays and an extra day at Christmas.
Local government pension scheme
Secure future income at a low cost to you, and we pay in too.
How we work
Interesting and varied workload
At whatever grade you are appointed we try to develop your potential and help advance your career. Under the guidance of a senior officer you are encouraged to take charge of projects and manage them from the start through to delivery. You will prepare scheme designs, identify costs, issue works orders and check the quality of construction. As you progress you will be responsible for larger, more complicated projects and will supervise others. We are committed to developing you and we identify what you may need to progress in your annual appraisal.
We have a varied workload from minor improvements to major schemes and have won national awards for our work.
First class training and development
We invest in you to make sure you have the right skills and experiences to give a first class service. We are Investors in People accredited. Acting up and secondment opportunities are encouraged to enable experience to be gained in different areas and to help professional development.
We have career grades designed to show the path for technicians and engineers within the Highways Service. This supports the progression from one level to the next dependent on the attainment of the appropriate qualifications, professional accreditation, and showing you have the skills needed.
Support for you
- contribution to professional fees. We help with the cost of your professional subscriptions
- cycle to work scheme. Get a bike tax free
- access to pool cars to use for meetings
- option to pay into a health cash plan to help you manage the cost of dental treatment, eye tests, new glasses, etc.
- free car parking at council offices
- discounted travel on public transport and free business travel on public transport
Family friendly policies and flexible working
We understand the importance of balancing personal lives with the flexibility necessary to make sure business needs are met. To help achieve the perfect balance we have working practices in place:
- flexi-time (work how you want around the core hours of your job)
- job sharing
- working from home
- time off in lieu
We also help with your caring and family responsibilities. This includes:
- childcare benefit scheme
- maternity and adoption pay that exceeds statutory rules
- paternity and parental leave
- carers’ leave (up to five days paid leave a year)
- dependents’ leave
- bereavement leave
Employee assistance programme
A telephone service operating 24-hours a day, seven days a week, giving access to specialist information and advice. This includes:
- confidential telephone counselling
- assistance with face-to-face counselling when needed
- legal information (excluding employment law)
- medical and general practitioner call back
- access to the online health portal
Support for disabled staff
We have been awarded the disability symbol ‘positive about disabled people’, working through the commitments of the scheme we make sure any disabled person who meets the minimum criteria for a job vacancy is guaranteed an interview. We also have a disability leave scheme where a disabled colleague can arrange to take up to 10 days leave to support any impairment need through negotiation with their manager. Disabled colleagues are supported by our health and safety team, access officer for disabled people and access to work to make sure any reasonable changes are put in place to eliminate any barriers to employment.