Appealing against Council Tax payment

You can appeal if:

  • you don’t agree that you are the person liable to pay Council Tax
  • you think your property should be exempt from Council Tax
  • you think you should be entitled to a disability reduction
  • you think you should be entitled to a personal discount

Email to appeal. Explain why you are appealing and include relevant evidence or documentation to support your reasons.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome or have not received a reply within two months you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal service.

The tribunal will contact you to arrange a date for a free hearing, or if both parties agree the case can be dealt with in writing.

Continue to pay your Council Tax during the appeal process. If your appeal is successful, overpaid rates will be refunded.