Advice after the recent attacks
We are working closely with Avon and Somerset Police to provide community reassurance and ensure that residents and visitors remain alert but not alarmed.
The police have shared with us some messages which you may find useful:
- There is currently no known threat to the South West although the situation is being kept under constant review.
- A meeting was held with all our Local Resilience Forum partners spanning every public agency across the force area. We continue to work closely with all emergency services.
- Neighbourhood teams are providing support to different places of worship, and the Force Chaplain and his team are working with people of all faiths in the community.
- We’re also re-assessing significant public events to review security and police support.
- Members of the public are likely to see an increased police presence at large public and community events and they shouldn’t be alarmed by this.
- Officers from event planning teams and protective security experts will be working with event organisers to ensure venues have appropriate security measures in place.
- We would always ask the public to be vigilant and report anything they think might be suspicious to us.
- We depend on information from the public, who can be our eyes and ears, in our efforts to keep us all safe.
Prevent is part of the Government’s counter terrorism strategy. It addresses all forms of dangerous extremism including Islamist extremism and far right extremism.
Prevent aims to:
- respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it
- prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and to ensure they are given appropriate advice and support
- work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to address
There are specific statutory obligations under Prevent for local authorities, schools, higher and further education, health services, prisons, probation and the police. National guidance is available for each of the key organisations describing ways in which they can comply with the duty, as well as providing advice and information on how compliance with the duty will be monitored. A multi-agency Prevent Board has been established to co-ordinate this work in North Somerset.
For more information about Prevent in North Somerset contact our community safety team.