Types of ceremony

We register civil marriages and partnerships in North Somerset. Ceremonies can take place at the register office or otherĀ approved premises.

Civil marriages

If you are having a civil wedding you need to give notice of your marriage.

On the day of the wedding you will need to bring at least two people as witnesses and to sign the marriage register. Witnesses should be capable of understanding the meaning of the ceremony before being asked to sign the register.

Ceremonies are conducted in English. Anyone who doesn’t speak or understand English sufficiently will need an interpreter.

Civil partnerships

The partnership is made legal by the signing of a schedule in front of a civil partnership registrar and two witnesses. There are no legal requirements to have a ceremony, exchange rings or vows.

Couples in a civil partnership can now legally convert this to a marriage. ThisĀ is a paper process with the option to have a celebratory ceremony.

registration service
Telephone to book an appointment at either office or email us with your enquiry.

01823 282 251


Main office

Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1UJ
Open 9am-12.30pm and 2-4pm, Monday to Friday

Part-time office opening hours

Castlewood, Tickenham Road, Clevedon, BS21 6FW
Open 9am-2pm Monday to Thursday and 9am-12.30pm on Fridays