Welfare provision scheme
About the welfare provision scheme
The scheme is a limited fund which can give you short term financial help in a crisis. The amount of help will depend on your circumstances. We decide who is eligible and how much to pay.
It is designed to help if you are unable to meet your immediate short term needs in a crisis, or where you need help to maintain your independence within the community.
The Department for Work and Pensions is still responsible for other parts of the social fund such as budgeting loans, alignment payments, Sure Start maternity grants, funeral payments, cold weather payments and winter fuel payments.
You will only be able to apply twice in any 12-month period. Loans will be repayable, but grants will not be.
The scheme covers:
- moving out of institutional care
- furniture, white goods, beds and household equipment
- a disaster such as a serious flood
- gas and electricity
- minor repairs to white goods
- clothing and footwear
These are only examples, if your situation is not mentioned it doesn’t mean you will not get help.
Making a claim
You can make a claim if all of these apply:
- you are aged at least 16 years of age
- you are a resident of North Somerset
- you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit or waiting to hear about a claim for a qualifying benefit (Income Support, income based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income based Employment Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Pension Credit and Universal Credit)
- you do not have access to money that could be used to meet your needs
- if awarded another loan in the last 12 months, you have repaid or set up an arrangement to repay
- you are without support, which in turn could result in serious risk to your own or your family’s health and safety
- you have not have received, or are eligible to receive, help from other public funds for the same needs
You can only claim by calling us and you may need to provide evidence to support your application.
01934 888 035 or 0800 138 5665
10am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
We will write to you once we have made a decision. We normally make awards in goods, services or vouchers which you will need to collect from us.
If the funds in the scheme have been used up we will not be able to help you, even if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Looking at the decision again
You can ask us to review your claim if you are not happy with our decision. Your request must be made within five working days of the date that we issued our decision.