Overpayment recovery

We get overpaid benefit back in a number of ways:

  • sending an invoice for repayment
  • taking deductions from your ongoing Housing Benefit payments
  • if you are a housing association tenant, using any credit that you may have on your rent account
  • making deductions from payments you receive from the Department for Work and Pensions, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, State Pension or Pension Credit
  • taking money from payments being made to you in respect of any other tenants (landlords only)

You need to pay invoices immediately. We may be able to agree to accept instalments.

Difficulty repaying

We will try to agree a reasonable and affordable repayment arrangement with you. We can also refer you to independent government-funded debt advisers who will not charge you for their help. They can help you with most debts including overpayments of benefits, rent and Council Tax arrears as well as credit debts, store cards, overdrafts and loans.