Roads and highway licences
Licence to place objects or structures on a highway
You need this licence if you wish to place objects or structures on the highway, such as:
- building materials
- mobile elevated work platforms
- skips, or
- a tower crane oversailing the highway
Applications must be:
- made a minimum of five working days before they are needed
- made by the company providing the service or carrying out the works
- sent in with your public liability insurance, up to the value of £5m
- sent in with your fee
If you have not had a response within five working days, contact the licensing team. You cannot proceed until you have heard from us.
Permits can be granted for a minimum of one day up to a maximum of one month.
Objects or structures on the highway without a permit will be removed by the council.
Application costs can be found in our list of fees and charges.
Highways Act 1980, Section 139, 140 and 140A
Chapter 8 Traffic Signs Manual
Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 34
Walliscote Grove Road
01934 888 802
Last reviewed: Tuesday 12 April 2016