Licence to place objects or structures on a highway

You need this licence if you wish to place objects or structures on the highway, such as:

  • building materials
  • hoardings
  • mobile elevated work platforms
  • scaffolding
  • skips, or
  • a tower crane oversailing the highway

Applications must be:

  • made a minimum of five working days before they are needed
  • made by the company providing the service or carrying out the works
  • sent in with your public liability insurance, up to the value of ¬£5m
  • sent in with your fee

If you have not had a response within five working days, contact the licensing team. You cannot proceed until you have heard from us.

Permits can be granted for a minimum of one day up to a maximum of one month.

Objects or structures on the highway without a permit will be removed by the council.


Application costs can be found in our list of fees and charges.


Highways Act 1980, Section 139, 140 and 140A

Chapter 8 Traffic Signs Manual

Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 34

street works enquiries
Town Hall
Walliscote Grove Road
BS23 1UJ

01934 888 802

Last reviewed: Tuesday 12 April 2016