Home boarding, catteries and kennels

You need this licence if you are already running or considering running a boarding facility.

apply for, change or renew an animal boarding establishment licence on the Gov.UK website


Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963

Other information

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006

We will aim to have a decision on your application within 28 days of receipt of a valid and complete application.  If we have not decided within this time a licence will not be automatically granted due to public safety and animal welfare implications. Tacit consent does not apply.  This means you must wait for the council to decide upon the application before any boarding can take place.

If you have not heard from us by the end of the 42 day completion date you should contact us. Do not assume the licence has been granted as it is in the public interest to ensure the business is licenced properly before trading.

For application queries or other issues, contact the health and safety team. For consumer complaints, contact the business in writing first then contact the team if you need further help.

Trade Associations

The Pet care trust and the Royal College of Veterinary surgeons are able to provide more support information to assist you.

health and safety team

01934 888 802


Last reviewed: 25 February 2016