- Help for first time buyers
More first time buyers in North Somerset are being given the opportunity to buy their own home.
- Grab a ticket for wrestling extravaganza!
Seconds out for an evening of high energy professional wrestling live at Somerset Hall in Portishead on Friday 19 February.
- Road resurfacing at Banwell
Road resurfacing and bus stop works will be carried out on a section of the A371 Knightcott Road at Banwell starting today (Monday 8 February).
- Fines for letting and managing agents
New enforcement powers have enabled North Somerset Council to fine letting and managing agents who are not members of a government approved redress scheme.
- Green light for town centre creative hub
The development of a creative hub in Weston town centre has been given the go-ahead by North Somerset Council.
- Register to vote and have your say
If you haven't already registered to vote, take advantage of National Voter Registration Drive this week (1 to 7 February) and go online now to register.
- Develop your leadership skills
Develop your leadership skills and lead activity sessions in your community with a Level 2 Community Sports Leadership Award.
- Book your holiday fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots on offer during the school holidays this month (15-19 February), including an Ofsted registered holiday club.
- Calling all Gruffalos!
Libraries across North Somerset will be celebrating National Libraries Day on Saturday (6 February) with a mass Gruffalo story time.
- Strawberry Line resurfacing work
Work to reinstate a section of the Strawberry Line cycle path in Congresbury starts next week (w/c 1 February).
- Weight loss group for men relaunches
North Somerset Council is proud to announce the return of the leading men’s weight loss organisation MAN v FAT to help the area’s men beat fat and get healthy, following a successful pilot last year.
- Former Weston restaurateur sentenced for possession of counterfeit tobacco
A former restaurant owner from Weston-super-Mare has been handed a 16 week custodial sentence for the possession of counterfeit tobacco.
- Tourism businesses aim to build on success
Tourism businesses in North Somerset have welcomed the opportunity to work more closely together to further develop the area's tourism offer.
- Funding announced for electric vehicles in North Somerset
North Somerset is set to benefit from a share of £7m for the development of an electric vehicles scheme across the district.
- Dementia friendly libraries
People living with dementia are being encouraged to share their memories in a new initiative launched by North Somerset Council's Library Service.
- Libraries celebrate the magic of Harry Potter
Wizards, witches and muggles are invited to two of North Somerset's libraries next week to celebrate the magic of Harry Potter.
- Draft plan to meet housing shortfall
A draft plan identifying the sites needed to meet North Somerset's housing requirement will be considered by the council's Executive next Tuesday (2 February).
- Painting the town purple
Weston-super-Mare is celebrating being awarded the prestigious Purple Flag for its evening and night-time economy.
- New campaign to support rough sleepers
A campaign to raise awareness of how to help people sleeping rough in Weston-super-Mare has been launched.
- Portishead rail update
Despite comments published to the contrary, North Somerset Council has confirmed that work will begin on the Portishead line in 2018.
- New funding opportunity for rural businesses
The new West of England LEADER programme is now open for applications for grants from rural businesses and communities across North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Bath and North East Somerset.
- Local residents cash in their vouchers for free fun, fitness and friendship
Just over 16 months after North Somerset Council’s Go4Free voucher scheme launched in Weston-super-Mare, local people are telling their stories of better health and happiness.
- Gold for school meals
School meals in North Somerset remain top notch according to a food standard award.
- Vital support on horizon for people bereaved by suicide
A new group is being established to support people in North Somerset who have been bereaved by suicide.
- Funding boost for Weston town centre regeneration
North Somerset Council has been awarded £700,000 by the Government to boost development in the centre of Weston-super-Mare.
- Stunning views improved from ancient monument
Stunning views of Weston-super-Mare from an ancient iron-age monument will be improved next week thanks to a tree felling scheme.
- Council crackdown on unauthorised airport parking
North Somerset Council's fight to protect the Green Belt from unauthorised airport car parking has received a major boost.
- Have your say on Portishead Lake Grounds
Local residents are being invited to get involved in the future management of Portishead Lake Grounds.
- IT workshops at Yatton Library
Free ‘how to’ IT workshops to help you get online are on offer at Yatton Library.
- Government grant forces rethink as budget gap widens to £4.6m
Figures from Government received just before Christmas have forced North Somerset Council to reconsider the budget for the year ahead.
- Public asked to help design new sexual health service
North Somerset residents are being asked to help design a new sexual health service for the area.
- Still time to have your say on area's future
Residents in North Somerset are being urged to have their say about future local housing, employment and transport provision.
- New rental standard launched
People looking for good private rented accommodation in North Somerset will soon be able to look for a quality kite mark thanks to a new initiative.
- Showcasing services for adults with learning disabilities
An event which showcases services for adults with learning disabilities in North Somerset takes place next week.
- New cycling and pedestrian route completed ahead of schedule
Cyclists now have a safer and more attractive route to use between Portishead and Abbots Leigh after a shared-use path along the A369 was completed two months ahead of schedule
- Emergency road repairs on A38
Emergency road repairs on the A38 Bristol Road near Bristol Airport are being carried out by North Somerset Council after a hole appeared next to and underneath part of the carriageway.
- New licensing scheme to improve private rented housing
A proposed new licensing scheme aims to improve conditions in privately rented housing across a part of Weston-super-Mare.
- Lung diseases highlighted in powerful campaign
North Somerset Council is supporting a powerful campaign to encourage people to give up smoking.
- First aid at work courses coming up
Two First Aid at Work courses are taking place in January and February for anyone needing to become a qualified first aider in the workplace.
- Energy advice sessions at Clevedon Library
Are you struggling to pay your energy bills? Do you need help to reduce them, but still keep your home warm and free from damp and mould? Are you keen to swop energy supplier, but not sure what to do next?
- Dog owners urged to be a leading example
Owners who fail to keep their dog on a lead in a Weston park could face prosecution
- Travelling safely over Christmas
Late night shoppers and festive party goers in North Somerset are being reminded of the different ways to make sure they can travel safely this Christmas.
- Buying a car from a distance? Then beware!
Consumers are being warned by North Somerset Trading Standards to think twice before buying a second-hand car over the internet, through social media, or at a distance.
- Go-ahead to share registration services
Registering births, deaths and marriages is set to become easier for residents of North Somerset.
- Dick and Franny are back!
A hard-hitting campaign aimed at young drinkers in Weston-super-Mare has been re-launched in the run-up to Christmas.
- Opening of new play area
An exciting new play area for toddlers to teenagers on land next to Walford Avenue in Weston-super-Mare will be officially opened on Friday (11 December).
- Students rewarded for travel challenge
Students at Worle Community School will be treated to a BMX stunt show after winning the Travelwest School Travel Challenge.
- What to do if you have norovirus symptoms
People across the district are being reminded to stay at home and avoid visiting local hospitals if they have any of the symptoms of norovirus, also known as the winter vomiting bug.
- Festive opening hours 2015
There will be changes to council service opening times over Christmas and the New Year...
- Resurfacing work on Nailsea High Street
A section of Nailsea High Street will be resurfaced overnight from Thursday (3 December).
- Improving walking and cycling routes in Weston-super-Mare
Work to improve cycling and walking routes at two locations in Weston-super-Mare is due to start next week.
- Christmas holiday fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots on offer during the coming Christmas holidays.
- Weston College awarded University Centre status
Weston College has been granted University Centre status, bringing Weston-super-Mare one step closer to becoming a university town.
- Ensuring services are 'fit for the future'
A report outlining a major review aimed at improving North Somerset Council's community-based buildings and services will be considered by councillors next week.
- Sporting opportunities at transformed tennis courts
A £115,000 scheme has transformed the old Grove Park tennis courts in Weston-super-Mare into a state-of-the-art facility that provides a range of sporting opportunities.
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women
Events are being held in North Somerset this week to raise awareness of domestic abuse and to mark International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
- Broadoak Hill reopens early
Broadoak Hill in Dundry has reopened today (Thursday) after works to repair the road were completed ahead of schedule.
- Work on Devonshire Road railway bridge
Works to waterproof and resurface the Devonshire Road railway bridge in Weston-super-Mare will start next Monday, 23 November.
- New shows for seafront venue
Comedy, music, dance and theatre are all part of an exciting line-up of events at the former Tropicana building in Weston-super-Mare.
- Free advice on altering your home
An event to help home owners in North Somerset planning to carry out major alterations to their properties takes place later this month.
- Work starts on third phase of Dolphin Square
Building contractors will start moving on to Dolphin Square in mid-November to start the construction of the £18m third phase of the regeneration project.
- Wine tasting at The Bay
An evening of wine tasting at The Bay on Weston-super-Mare seafront is being held on Wednesday 25 November.
- Churchill wins solar-powered bus stop light
North Somerset Council recently teamed up with Prolectric Services Ltd, asking residents to vote for their preferred bus stop to receive a solar-powered light.
- Repairs to Clevedon's sea wall
Work to repair the sea wall at Clevedon will start on Wednesday (11 November) and is expected to take to take six weeks to complete.
- Weston carnival 2015
Stunning illuminations will light up the night sky above Weston-super-Mare when the popular carnival returns to town.
- People can shape next generation of West of England's housing and transport provision
People in the West of England are being urged to take the opportunity to shape the area’s housing and transport provision for the next 20 years by participating in a major consultation that starts today (Monday 9 November).
- Book signing at the library
Local couple Rosie and Howard Smith will be at Weston Library on Saturday 21 November promoting their new book 'Weston-super-Mare in watercolours - Revisited'.
- Building on the Dismaland legacy
Councillors will meet next week to decide whether to give the go-ahead to an additional programme of building improvements at the former Tropicana building in Weston-super-Mare.
- Creative writing workshop at The Campus
Could you be the next JK Rowling or Lee Child?
- Working together to re-open footpaths
Two footpaths in Puxton have been re-opened thanks to a joint project between North Somerset Council, Woodspring Ramblers and local landowners.
- Beware of power-tool sellers
Residents and businesses in North Somerset are being warned to be on their guard against gangs of mobile sellers offering bargain priced generators, chainsaws and other power tools.
- North Somerset laboratory achieves national accreditation
The highways material testing laboratory in Flax Bourton has achieved accreditation from the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS), the national body that assesses testing services.
- Residents asked to vote on solar powered light
A new solar-powered bus stop light has been trialled in North Somerset.
- Big Energy Saving Week event
An event is being held in Weston-super-Mare next week as part of Big Energy Saving Week.
- People with MS urged to sign up for swimming classes
People living with multiple sclerosis in North Somerset are being invited to sign up for swimming classes which have been designed specifically for those with the condition.
- Marine Lake re-opens to the public
Clevedon's Marine Lake will re-open to the public on Friday (23 October) following a six-month restoration project.
- Bus service changes in November
A number of changes to bus services across North Somerset will come into effect on Sunday 1 November leading to more reliable and comprehensive services across the district.
- Emergency road closure in Backwell
An emergency road closure is to be put in place near Backwell Station from Friday (23 October) so that an underground electricity cable can be repaired.
- Too old at four?
New statistics published today to mark National Adoption Week (19 – 25 October) reveal that the average age of children waiting to be placed in adoptive families is just four years old.
- Decorate your pumpkin
Worle Library will be getting into the autumn spirit by having a pumpkin decorating contest of favourite book characters.
- Holiday fun at The Bay
Fun activities for children are taking place at The Bay on Weston-super-Mare seafront during the school holidays next week.
- Changes to bus services in Nailsea
Changes are to be made to some bus services in Nailsea following comments made by local residents, North Somerset Council and bus operator First West of England have announced.
- Celebrating Shared Lives Week
Shared Lives carers across North Somerset are coming together to highlight the fourth annual Shared Lives week.
- Step forward for Weston town centre regeneration
Another big step towards the regeneration of Weston-super-Mare is set to be taken by North Somerset Council next week as part of its bold vision for a vibrant and prosperous town centre.
- Meeting the housing shortfall
A report highlighting the "urgent need" to identify suitable sites to meet North Somerset's housing requirement will be considered by the council's Executive next Tuesday (20 October).
- National burns awareness day
The number of children under five suffering from burns or scalds is being highlighted in North Somerset as part of National Burns Awareness Day on Wednesday (21 October).
- Bright future for Winter Gardens
A multi-million pound plan to create a brighter future for Weston-super-Mare's Winter Gardens has been approved by North Somerset Council.
- Blooming marvellous
Two North Somerset communities have scooped gold in this year's South West in Bloom awards.
- Rewarding recycling
Parish and town councils across North Somerset could be set for cash rewards if they recycle more, thanks to an innovative new incentive scheme.
- New waste contract to bring more recycling opportunities
North Somerset residents will be able to recycle even more of their household waste when a new recycling and waste contract starts in 2017.
- Town centre venue conditions welcomed
Additional licensing conditions imposed on a town centre venue in Weston-super-Mare have been welcomed by North Somerset Council and the police.
- Government praises childcare funding levels
Over 80 per cent of eligible two-year-olds are benefitting from free childcare in North Somerset making the council the best performing authority in the South West for encouraging take-up.
- Community Sports Leader Award
Would you like to develop your leadership skills or lead activity sessions in your community and motivate others?
- Drop in road casualty figures
The number of people killed or seriously injured on North Somerset roads is continuing to fall,according to the latest road traffic accident statistics.
- National Get Online Week in North Somerset libraries
Libraries in North Somerset are celebrating national 'Get Online Week' with a theme 'Make life easier online'.
- Raising awareness of hate crimes
A number of events are taking place in North Somerset next week to help raise awareness of hate crime and how to report it.
- We want your WEEE
North Somerset residents will be able to recycle their old electrical and electronic equipment at a number of locations across the district this month.
- October fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots on offer during the coming October school holiday.
- Police and council team up to warn residents about rogue traders
Police and trading standards officers in North Somerset have been raising awareness of rogue traders as part of a national week of action.
- Fight flu with a jab
Seasonal flu jabs are now available and doctors are encouraging people to get booked in if they are in a higher risk group.
- Halloween's family fright night
There will be Halloween fun for everyone in Grove Park, Weston-super-Mare on Saturday 31 October at the free Halloween Fright Night event.
- Smoking in vehicles with children banned from today
Smokers in the South West are being given one more reason to quit as new government laws come into force today which make it illegal for anyone to smoke in vehicles with children present.
- Worle's history on display
An exhibition tracing the history of Worle from the Norman Conquest to the 20th Century takes place this month.
- Crime writers at Yatton Library
Two crime writers will be talking about their work at Yatton Library on Wednesday 14 October.
- Rugby club tackles Reading Passport
North Somerset’s mobile library had an unusual stop recently when it visited Clevedon Rugby Club to publicise the Reading Passport, the annual regional promotion of good books for adults.
- Snow’s the time to sign up for training
Do you want to help prepare your community for winter?
- Superheroes head for Long Ashton
Superheroes headed for Long Ashton’s Festival Way on Sunday (27 September) to take part in The Great Superhero Bike Hike.
- Junior parkrun coming to Weston
An exciting new scheme for young runners could soon be coming to Weston-super-Mare.
- Road resurfacing in Pill and Portbury
Road improvements will take place in Pill and Portbury this autumn as part of North Somerset Council’s continued investment in the district’s roads.
- Work to begin on Broadoak Hill
Work to repair Broadoak Hill in Dundry will begin next week.
- Road surface treatment work to take place
A number of roads across the district will be resurfaced when North Somerset Council’s micro asphalt treatment programme starts next month.
- Residents in the West of England will soon have a say on future housing, jobs and transport infrastructure
People across the West of England are to be given the chance to shape the future of housing and transport provision as part of a major conversation over the coming months.
- Disappointment at housing decision
North Somerset Council has expressed its "extreme disappointment" at the Government's decision not to back it on the number of new houses needed in the district.
- Improved facilities at The Campus
Improved community facilities are now on offer at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare.
- Welcome to the 'Extension Convention'
Are you planning a major alteration to your home in North Somerset?
- Weston to come alive with wacky and wonderful street theatre
As Dismaland comes to a finale over next weekend, Weston-super-Mare’s high street and seafront will come alive with wacky and wonderful street theatre.
- Stub out a bad habit in Stoptober
Free support is available to help smokers take the Stoptober challenge and give up smoking.
- New joint powers to improve community safety
Council and police officers in North Somerset have taken on a broader range of powers as part of their joint community response initiative.
- The Dismaland effect
The centre of the contemporary art universe remains Weston-super-Mare until 27 September as people continue to flock to the town to see Dismaland.
- Work at junction 21
Contractors will be returning to junction 21 this week to carry out remedial work to lighting columns around the junction.
- Portishead Library book sale
Portishead Library will be hosting a big book sale, with a range of old titles offered for sale from just 30p.
- Seafront car parks become dementia friendly
Two of the biggest car council parks on Weston seafront have become dementia friendly by introducing bright symbols and colourful pictures to help people remember where they have parked.
- Walk this way to better health
If you enjoy walking and would like to encourage others to enjoy it too, then North Somerset Council wants to hear from you.
- Gadget Club sessions to help you get online
Gadget club sessions resume in libraries in North Somerset this autumn - get help with your ipad, smart phone or tablet at our drop-in events across the district.
- Work continues at Marine Lake
Clevedon Marine Lake was looking blue and inviting this weekend…it was a joy to see it bathed in sunshine and looking glorious.
- Learn skills to support disabled people into sport
Three years on from the Paralympic Games, North Somerset Council continues to drive the legacy of London 2012 by developing the knowledge and skills of local people to support those with a disability into sport.
- Free healthy lifestyle advice available
A successful initiative that helps people to lead healthier lifestyles is offering a range of new drop in venues.
- Suspended prison sentence for seller of fake vodka
A man from Yatton has been sentenced to 20 weeks imprisonment, suspended for two years and 100 hours unpaid work, when he appeared at Bristol Crown Court, on Friday 4 September.
- Open letter about Portbury Wharf nature reserve
Here is an open letter from David Turner, Director of Development and Environment at North Somerset Council:
- Responding to residents' concerns
A week of action to highlight the partnership work being done to improve community safety in North Somerset is taking place this month.
- Partnership on to a winner with new sports facility
Work has started this week on a new state-of-the-art sports facility in the centre of Weston-super-Mare.
- Discover the delights of North Somerset's producers
A three-week celebration of food, drink and arts and crafts produced in North Somerset begins this weekend.
- West of England proposes ambitious devolution deal worth £2bn to economy
The leaders of the West of England are calling on the Government to back a devolution bid that could generate an extra £2bn per annum for the economy whilst improving local lives.
- Passport to reading
North Somerset libraries are teaming up with Clevedon RFC to promote a new library reading event.
- Get involved in sport
Have you been inspired by a sports coach or sports professional? Would you like to lead local multisport sessions in your community and motivate others?
- Free exercise at Hutton Moor
Hutton Moor Leisure Centre in Weston-super-Mare is providing free exercise activities as part of its involvement in National Fitness Day on Wednesday 9 September, helping make it the most active day of the year in the UK.
- Mavis hits the streets
People enjoying a night out in Weston-super-Mare will be able to call on Mavis if their evening goes wrong for any reason.
- The way to better health
If you enjoy walking and would like to encourage others to enjoy it too, then North Somerset Council wants to hear from you.
- The Great Superhero Bike Hike
You don't need to be a superhero to do The Great Bike Hike, but it might help.
- Weston hosts national water ski races
National water ski racing comes to Weston-super-Mare on Sunday 6 September.
- North Somerset to host international art exhibition
Weston-super-Mare is set to become the centre of the contemporary art universe for the next six weeks as world-renowned graffiti artist Banksy brings his latest curated creation Dismaland to the town’s seafront.
- New community bus for Winford and surrounding area
Residents in Winford, Felton and Dundry will soon have a new community bus connecting them to Bristol Airport.
- Two first aid at work courses
Two first aid courses organised by North Somerset Council are being held at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare.
- Hundreds of street lights to be replaced
As part of its continuing street lighting replacement programme, North Somerset Council is set to replace hundreds of old-type five-metre concrete columns.
- Community Learning open day
The Community Learning Service is holding an open day next month.
- Still time to sign up for the Record Breakers Summer Reading Challenge
More than 3,600 children have already signed up to take part in the Summer Reading Challenge at libraries in North Somerset – and there’s still plenty of time to join in!
- CCG names preferred bidder for community health services contract
North Somerset CCG has announced that North Somerset Community Partnership (NSCP) is its preferred bidder in the tendering process for the provision of community healthcare services for North Somerset.
- Unsafe vodka thought to be in circulation across the UK
North Somerset Trading Standards have been made aware that bottles of a fake vodka that may have been contaminated with anti-freeze are in circulation across the country.
- Historic England experts visit Weston
A team of national experts on the historic environment have visited Weston-super-Mare to offer advice on the ambitious plans for the town centre.
- Writing on the lake
With the restoration of Clevedon's Marine Lake progressing well, budding writers are being invited to write about the lake.
- Mavis is on her way
A new Streetsafe bus is coming to North Somerset.
- North Somerset businesses set to benefit from Hinkley announcement
Three North Somerset businesses have been named today by EDF Energy as successful in a competitive process to find preferred bidders for services to the proposed Hinkley Point C power station in Somerset.
- Healthy schools celebration
An event was held earlier this month to celebrate North Somerset schools involved in the 'healthy schools' programme.
- Blue-green algae at Portishead Lake Grounds
Following tests at Portishead Lake Grounds, the presence of blue-green algae has been confirmed by the Environment Agency.
- Celebrating Breastfeeding Awareness Week
Breastfeeding Awareness Week is being marked in North Somerset with two events.
- New routes and timetables for buses
Next month sees new routes and timetables launched on bus services in Nailsea and the surrounding area.
- Travel awards coming to Weston
This year’s Travelwest Business Awards are being hosted by North Somerset Council.
- New stop for mobile library
From the beginning of next month there will be a new stop on the mobile library route
- Green Flag for Prince Consort Gardens
Prince Consort Gardens in Weston-super-Mare has become the latest open space in North Somerset to be awarded the prestigious Green Flag.
- V-J Day commemoration
Details of all Second World War veterans living in North Somerset are being sought as preparations are under way to mark the 70th anniversary of V-J (Victory over Japan) Day.
- Winning design for play area
An exciting new play area for toddlers to teenagers will soon be taking shape on land next to Walford Avenue in Weston-super-Mare.
- YPK gets a boost from Boomsatsuma
A successful scheme giving young people in North Somerset the opportunity to get involved in various sports and leisure activities at affordable prices is getting a new lease of life.
- Surface dressing complete
A £600,000 surface dressing programme to prolong the life of North Somerset's roads has been completed.
- A boost for Weston town centre regeneration
North Somerset Council’s ambitious vision for the regeneration of Weston-super-Mare town centre has received a boost from the announcement of a successful Government funding bid.
- Bus passengers snap up smart cards
Bus passengers in Weston-super-Mare will be greeted by representatives from Travelwest next week to let know them about new smart cards that have recently been introduced on Crosville buses in the town.
- Yanley viaduct steelwork painting completed
Painting of steelwork over the railway line at Yanley Viaduct is due to finish this Friday (17 July), following completion of the £3.4m scheme to replace essential parts of the structure.
- Campus to get 'new lease of life'
Work to improve the community facilities on offer at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare starts this week.
- Mini-roundabout trial for Cabstand
A mini roundabout will be trialled at the Cabstand in Portishead following public consultation on plans to improve traffic flow at the junction.
- Thursdays are fun days
If you’re looking for something to do in the summer holidays come along to our Fun Day Thursdays in Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon and Portishead!
- Strategic leaders' board announces governance review
Leaders from the West of England region have announced their intentions for a Strategic Review of Governance, a further step towards securing more local powers from the Government.
- Success story continues
The success story of the LibrariesWest Consortium continues today with the announcement that two more local authorities have joined its ranks.
- Town centre is Alive After 5ive!
Street games, late night shopping and food and drink offers are all part of a new initiative taking place in Weston-super-Mare town centre this summer.
- See the work at Clevedon's marine lake
Come and see progress on the £1m National Lottery supported project to restore Clevedon's historic marine lake in a series of organised public visits.
- Dates for 2016 air festival announced
Following the phenomenal success of this year’s Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces weekend, North Somerset Council has announced the date for the 2016 event:
- Prizes up for grabs for recycling your food waste
You could be rewarded with a £50 voucher for recycling your food waste.
- Three new taster sessions!
What better way to start the summer than with exciting new activity sessions for women in North Somerset.
- A record-breaking summer for reading
Libraries across North Somerset are getting ready to encourage young readers to explore some of the astonishing real-life achievements and world records.
- New directory to help more people get active
The new edition of North Somerset Council's Active Directory is out now.
- New affordable housing partnership for the West of England
A new partnership called HomesWest has been established to help deliver more new affordable homes across the West of England.
- Summer fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots of offer this summer to keep children of all ages entertained during the school holidays - sporty or creative, they will have something for everyone to enjoy.
- Award for recycling and waste team
At the annual Weston College Business Awards held last Wednesday, North Somerset Council was the winner in the Work Experience Provider of the Year category.
- Annual maintenance on A370
The annual verge maintenance to the dual carriageway linking Weston-super-Mare to the M5 is under way.
- Weston Air Festival - a resounding success
Weston Air Festival has been hailed a success by organisers, North Somerset Council
- A collaborative approach to suicide prevention
Leading organisations in North Somerset have joined forces to try and reduce the number of people taking their own lives.
- Joint spatial plan for the West of England
Plans for a new joint spatial plan for the sub-region are to be discussed later this week.
- Prolonging the life of North Somerset's roads
A £600,000 surface dressing programme covering around 18 miles of North Somerset's roads begins on Tuesday 7 July.
- New acts announced for Corona SunSets
Corona SunSets Festival is delighted to announce a huge electronic line-up for Weston super-Mare on Saturday 11 July, joining previously announced headliners, Clean Bandit - Live.
- Re-opening the Portishead branch line - have your say
Proposals to re-open the Portishead branch line have reached a major milestone, as statutory consultation on the plans begins.
- Bournville primary - outstanding in all areas - Ofsted
A primary school in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating after Ofsted inspectors rated it 'Outstanding'.
- New outdoor space for Nailsea and Backwell Children's Centre
A bramble-covered, unusable area at Nailsea and Backwell Children’s Centre has now been cleared and is being used for forest skills and exploratory play.
- Another step towards town centre regeneration
Another step towards the regeneration of Weston-super-Mare is set to be taken by North Somerset Council next week as part of its bold vision for the town centre.
- Extended route and hours for the number 88
A bus service route in North Somerset is to be extended and operating times increased in response to demand from local residents and passengers.
- Vulcan's final appearance at Weston
The mighty Avro Vulcan Bomber is due to make its last ever appearance at Weston-super-Mare in what will be a fitting finale to this weekend's Weston Air Festival.
- The Bay opens for business
A bright and vibrant café bar opens on Weston-super-Mare’s seafront this week.
- Men urged to check their health
A campaign to promote healthy living and wellbeing in men is being launched next week.
- A370 improvement works
Work to improve the A370 between Congresbury and Backwell is due to take place later this month.
- Stop Adult Abuse Week
Safeguarding adult support officers from North Somerset Council will be boarding the mobile library this month to raise awareness during Stop Adult Abuse week.
- RealRider app launches at Weston Bike Nights
Motorcyclists can pick up the award winning RealRider app at Weston Bike Nights this summer.
- Shared use at Queensway
More improvements for pedestrians and cyclists using Queensway in Weston-super-Mare are set to go ahead following a successful bid by North Somerset Council from the Department for Transport's (DfT) Local Sustainable Transport Fund.
- Roundabout resurfacing on the A38
Works to improve the surface of Silver Zone Parking Roundabout on the A38 will begin on Monday 15 June.
- Yanley Viaduct completion works
Final works will be carried out at Yanley Viaduct on the Long Ashton bypass this month following completion of the £3.4m scheme to replace essential parts of the structure.
- The Great Jungle Bike Hike
The Strawberry Line cycle route will welcome back the Great Bike Hike for the sixth time on Sunday 14 June.
- Have your say on Cabstand plans
North Somerset Council engineers are asking for feedback on plans to improve Portishead’s Cabstand.
- Helicopters confirmed for air festival
Three historic helicopters will be flying in for the Helicopter Museum static display at the Weston Air Festival over the weekend of 20-21 June, making a rare appearance for visitors to the event.
- North Somerset is open for business
As progress continues on a number of ambitious developments around the Junction 21 Enterprise Area, top business leaders heard how North Somerset is increasingly open for business at a meeting last month which brought them together with developers.
- Library events for Adult Learners' Week
North Somerset libraries will be offering a host of activities during Adult Learners' Week (Saturday 13 to Friday 19 June).
- Jungle fun during National Bookstart Week
Special story time and Rhymetime sessions for pre-school age children will be held in libraries across North Somerset as part of National Bookstart Week from Monday 8 to Sunday 14 June.
- Community Resilience on tour
Community Resilience North Somerset will be going on tour in June to show how the scheme can benefit your community.
- Dog owners urged to be more responsible
Dog owners in North Somerset are being warned "be more responsible or face being fined".
- Sharing a life and a home
A successful scheme which provides a caring environment for adults in need to gain independence is looking for new carers.
- Clevedon marine lake - an inspiring location
With over 100 years of history Clevedon’s marine lake is a truly inspiring location.
- Getting to the heart of fostering
Fostering fortnight (1 to 14 June) is being marked in North Somerset with a new look for fostering services.
- Bid now or miss out!
This is your last chance to own one of the brand new beach huts on Weston-super-Mare seafront this summer.
- Library staff trained to be digital champions
Library staff from across North Somerset have taken part in a training programme to improve their digital skills and digital confidence.
- Coders and developers - are you up for a challenge?
Whether you're a whiz with websites or clued-up on coding, your help is needed to pull together North Somerset Council's 'open' information.
- Local youth band to perform at national festival
A group of North Somerset musicians has been selected to play at a prestigious national event later this year.
- May holiday fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots on offer during the coming May Half term holidays (Tuesday 26 to Friday 29 May), including an Ofsted registered holiday club.
- Roundabout improvement works complete
Work to improve traffic flows and lane discipline at the Hutton Moor roundabout in Weston-super-Mare has been finished.
- Local and community history month needs your photos!
May is Local and Community History Month and libraries across North Somerset are again promoting their collections
- Enhancing Weston town centre
The latest phase of works to enhance Weston-super-Mare town centre has been completed.
- New smart card for buses in Weston-super-Mare
Travelling by bus in Weston-super-Mare has never been easier following the introduction of a new smart card.
- Get active with free access vouchers
Adults living in Weston-super-Mare can apply for vouchers giving them free access to over 60 sport and exercise classes in the town.
- New partnership aims to strengthen inclusive sport
A new inclusive sport partnership has been created to co-ordinate and develop high quality opportunities for disabled people wishing to play or coach sport.
- Beach hut auctions continue in Weston-super-Mare
The auction of brand new beach huts on Weston-super-Mare seafront continues this week.
- Spectacular line-up for air festival
More thrilling displays have been confirmed for this summer's Weston Air Festival.
- Libraries to host new festival
Some of the UK’s most dynamic and cutting edge poets and spoken word artists will be performing in libraries in North Somerset at the end of May.
- Men to say gut riddance to fat
Men in Weston-super-Mare will soon have the opportunity to battle the bulge in a project aimed at providing a weekly, no nonsense men-only weight-loss group.
- Summer Reading Challenge offers volunteering opportunity
Do you like reading? Are you aged 14 or over and looking for something to do this summer?
- Hutton Moor roundabout improvements
Work to improve traffic flows and lane discipline at the Hutton Moor roundabout in Weston-super-Mare starts on Monday (20 April).
- Step back in time
Imaginative children can enjoy travelling through time during an afternoon of high drama and thrilling story making.
- Three sentenced for tobacco related offences
Sales of illicit tobacco in Weston-super-Mare have been disrupted following a successful prosecution brought by North Somerset Council's Trading Standards.
- First beach hut to be auctioned
Be the first to get a brand new beach hut on Weston-super-Mare seafront!
- Free shuttle bus for Worlebury during roadworks
Crosville Motor Services, with support from North Somerset Council, will be operating an emergency shuttle bus for Worlebury village from today (Wednesday 15 April).
- Free events to help people get online
Free events are being held in libraries across North Somerset next week to help people learn more about using computers, tablets and the internet as part of the national 'Spring Online' campaign.
- Doorstep traders con Clevedon residents out of £58,000
Residents in North Somerset are being warned to be on their guard if approached by doorstep traders offering to carry out work on their property.
- Sharing a passion for reading
Reading enthusiasts in North Somerset will be encouraging others to share their passion as part of celebrations for World Book Night on Thursday 23 April.
- Pick up a bargain at Portishead Library
Portishead Library will be hosting a big book sale over the weekend of 18 and 19 April.
- More funding for new homes
More funding to help deliver new homes in Weston-super-Mare has been awarded to North Somerset Council.
- No listing for Winter Gardens
North Somerset Council has received official confirmation from English Heritage that the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare will not be added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- What to do in Weston-super-Mare
The new 48-page Weston Pocket Guide packed with ideas on what to do in the area is now available.
- Check your options for non-emergency care this Easter
North Somerset’s health leaders are reminding residents to check their options for non-emergency medical care and advice this Easter.
- Government to intervene on North Somerset housing numbers
In what North Somerset Council believes to be a landmark decision, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles MP, has confirmed that...
- North Somerset chosen as Food Enterprise Zone
The local food and drink economy in North Somerset is to be boosted by the creation of a Food Enterprise Zone (FEZ).
- Future looking bright for development and employment
The future is looking bright for development and employment with a series of projects getting under way at North Somerset Enterprise Area at J21in Weston-super-Mare.
- Marine Lake restoration moves step nearer
The restoration of Marine Lake in Clevedon has moved another step closer.
- Get new members through local 'active directory'
The fifth edition of North Somerset Council's active directory – the flagship publication for sport and exercise groups in the district - is being put together...
- Improvements and changes to bus services
A number of bus services in North Somerset will be changing from Sunday 29 March due to the awarding of new three-year contracts by North Somerset Council and also because of commercial changes by local bus operators.
- Back with a splash!
Following last year’s fabulous summer and with an Easter heatwave predicted, the hugely popular Water Adventure Park on Weston-super-Mare seafront will be up and running ready for the Easter holidays.
- Walk this way
A series of guided walks organised by North Somerset Council's ranger service gives you the opportunity to enjoy some beautiful scenery and learn about local history at the same time.
- Road closure near Bristol airport
As part of highway improvement works near Bristol Airport, the A38 at the Downside Road junction will be closed for part of this weekend to enable the existing footbridge to be taken down.
- Free digital magazine for learner drivers
FirstCar has launched a brand new digital magazine to support those learning to drive in North Somerset.
- Chancellor's Budget statement gives Government backing to Weston town centre 'prospectus for change'
An area in Weston-super-Mare is to be designated as a 'housing zone' following an announcement by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in his Budget speech.
- Portishead railway station location decided
A decision on the location for Portishead railway station has been made by North Somerset Council's executive.
- Core Strategy statement
The Leader of North Somerset Council, Cllr Nigel Ashton, made this statement about the council's Core Strategy at today's meeting of the Executive.
- Pro Nationals are back in Weston!
The Pro Nationals are returning to Weston-super-Mare in May and here is a press release from the organisers e22 Events:
- Parish Wharf Leisure Centre completes makeover
The £1.2 million refurbishment of Parish Wharf Leisure Centre in Portishead will be officially unveiled on Monday (16 March).
- The opportunity to develop your skills and help others get active
A range of training opportunities are being provided in North Somerset for anyone interested in developing their delivery and leadership skills within a sports, physical activity or health improvement environment.
- Get litter picking on 'national spring clean' day
Local communities across North Somerset will be taking part in the first-ever 'national spring clean' on Saturday 21 March.
- Energy-saving signals on the way
Work starts next week (Monday 16 March) to upgrade traffic signals at Long Ashton park and ride which will see energy costs and carbon emissions reduced by 70 per cent.
- Gadget Club off to a good start
The Gadget Club is a new project in North Somerset's libraries to help people get online by offering assistance with gadgets such as tablets, smart phones and iPads.
- Two day Red Arrows display confirmed for Weston Air Festival
The world-renowned Red Arrows will perform on both days at this year’s Weston Air Festival on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June.
- Long Ashton road improvements
Road improvements in Long Ashton are due to start next week.
- National accreditation for high quality health walks
North Somerset has been officially recognised by Walking for Health and awarded national accreditation for its local walking scheme.
- First look inside the Tropicana
Contractors have been hard at work since January, renovating parts of the Tropicana on Weston-super-Mare seafront so that it can re-open to the public in time for the summer.
- Campaign to recruit more Shared Lives carers
A new drive in North Somerset for more people to consider becoming Shared Lives carers has the backing of Minister for Care and Support Norman Lamb MP and NHS boss Simon Stevens.
- Flying the flag for the Commonwealth
North Somerset Council took part in ‘Fly a Flag for the Commonwealth’ today, Monday 9 March, to mark Commonwealth Day.
- Vulcan to return to Weston Air Festival
The mighty Avro Vulcan Bomber has been confirmed as one of the headline displays at this year's Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend taking place on 20 and 21 June.
- Checking health in the community
A new initiative to encourage the over 40s to have a free health MOT has been launched in Weston-super-Mare.
- Funding boost for domestic abuse project
An innovative new project to identify different ways of supporting victims of domestic abuse in North Somerset has attracted government funding.
- Smokers urged to quit on No Smoking Day
Smokers in North Somerset are being urged to take the first step in giving up cigarettes for good on No Smoking Day on Wednesday 11 March.
- Ofsted recognises school's improvements
Milton Park Primary School in Weston-super-Mare is heading in the right direction and is well on course to becoming a "good" school.
- Libraries gearing up for World Book Day
Libraries across North Somerset are gearing up to celebrate World Book Day on Thursday (5 March).
- 'Computer buddies' needed
Libraries in North Somerset are looking for 'computer buddies' to help people get online.
- Yes vote for Backwell plan
Backwell residents have voted to accept their neighbourhood plan in a referendum.
- Responding to community needs
An innovative new partnership approach to tackling a range of community issues is already seeing some early successes.
- The Gadget Club is coming to a library near you!
A new initiative to help residents get online is coming to North Somerset's libraries.
- Time to care?
Anyone interested in a career is the care industry will have the chance to find out more at an event at the Sovereign Centre, Weston from Monday 2 March to Sunday 8 March.
- Encouraging women into the construction industry
A series of courses aimed at encouraging women to consider working in the construction industry is being run by North Somerset Council.
- Using sport and exercise to improve people's lives
All those supporting local people through their profession - whether this be to improve health, unemployment, reduce isolation, aid recovery or for other lifestyle reasons - are being encouraged to refer individuals for free sport and exercise sessions.
- Move to unlock over 900 jobs
Proposals to provide the catalyst to unlock over 900 jobs on the outskirts of Weston-super-Mare have been agreed by North Somerset Council at its meeting last night (Tuesday 17 February).
- Budget looks to growth
A council tax freeze - the fourth in the last five years - has been agreed by North Somerset Council at its budget-setting meeting (Tuesday 17 February).
- Highlighting the dangers of secondhand smoke
North Somerset Council is supporting a campaign to highlight the hidden dangers that secondhand smoke in homes and cars can cause to children’s health.
- Walford Avenue play area consultation
Local residents are being asked for their views on what they would like to see included in proposals for a new play area on land next to Walford Avenue in Weston-super-Mare.
- Highway improvements near airport
Highway improvement works are due to start next week near Bristol Airport.
- Supporting carers to stay in paid employment
North Somerset is one of nine areas in England to have secured funding for a two-year pilot project to help carers balance their caring role with paid employment.
- Flying high in Weston in 2015
Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Day takes place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June 2015 on Weston seafront.
- Leading the way to better health
If you enjoy walking and would like to encourage others to enjoy it too, then North Somerset Council wants to hear from you.
- Have you been inspired?
Have you been inspired by Sport England's #ThisGirlCan campaign to get active?
- Promoting tourism in North Somerset
Tourism in North Somerset is being promoted as part of a national campaign
- MyAccount offline
Our MyAccount system where you can access your council tax or housing benefit account will be offline for a short time on Wednesday 11 February.
- Park safely in North Somerset
More council-run public car parks in North Somerset have been recognised for their safe parking.
- Library scheme to help people with dementia
Libraries in North Somerset have launched their latest Reading Well Books on Prescription scheme to support people with dementia and their carers.
- Tell us about your experiences with legal highs
Have you had a bad experience with so-called 'legal highs'? If so, North Somerset Council's Trading Standards would like to hear from you.
- Sports wheelchairs for clubs
Four sports wheelchairs have been presented to three local community clubs in North Somerset giving disabled people the opportunity to take up a healthy activity.
- Resurfacing scheme in Banwell set to get under way
A resurfacing scheme costing £150,000 gets under way in Banwell on Monday (9 February).
- Food safety prosecution
Failure to comply with food safety legislation has resulted in a successful prosecution by North Somerset Council's food and safety team.
- Victorian shelter to be restored
Work to repair the Victorian shelter in Prince Consort Gardens, Weston-super-Mare has started.
- Consultation on Nailsea to Bristol bus links
The views of local people about how to improve bus links between Nailsea and Bristol are being sought by North Somerset Council.
- Tropicana work gets under way
Work has started on-site to bring part of the Tropicana at Weston-super-Mare back up to a standard to enable part of it to be available for public use in time for the summer.
- Celebrate your local library
North Somerset residents are invited to go along to their local library to celebrate National Libraries Day on Saturday 7 February.
- February fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle, Weston-super-Mare will have lots on offer during the coming school holidays (16-20 February), including an Ofsted registered holiday club.
- £40m pledge to improve North Somerset's roads
North Somerset Council is pledging to invest £40m in its roads over the next five years.
- Planning breaches lead to fines
Failure to comply with planning enforcement notices has resulted in two more successful prosecutions by North Somerset Council.
- Bringing the library to you
If you find it difficult to leave your home due to ill health, frailty or responsibilities as a carer, you could benefit from North Somerset Council's free home library sevice.
- First phase of flood relief scheme completed
A £200,000 scheme to construct a flood relief drain at Garston’s Orchard in Wrington is now largely complete, signalling the end of the first phase of a flood relief scheme for the village.
- Wands at the ready!
Wizards, witches and muggles will be gathering at two of North Somerset's libraries on Thursday 5 February to celebrate the magic of Harry Potter.
- Reducing home energy bills - drop-in advice surgeries
Volunteers from The Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) will be holding a series of monthly drop-in sessions offering advice and information about fuel switching, reducing gas and electric bills, and general home energy saving information.
- Yanley viaduct re-opens
A £3.4m scheme to replace essential parts of the Long Ashton bypass at Yanley Viaduct is on track with the road due to be re-opened opened tomorrow (Saturday) morning.
- New business rates pool to boost North Somerset economy
North Somerset's local economy is set to benefit from a new business rates pooling arrangement.
- School expansion scheme to start
Work on a £1.5m scheme to expand St Nicholas Chantry C of E Primary School in Clevedon is due to start early next month.
- Your North Somerset 2015
Our popular community event Your North Somerset took place for the tenth time on Sunday 25 January 2015.
- Love your lungs
Residents are being urged to love their lungs this winter and have a persistent cough or breathlessness checked out.
- Winter Gardens gets green light as community use is safeguarded
The Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare will be redeveloped as a law and professional services academy following a successful bid by Weston College to secure £14.9m for the project.
- Popular community event celebrates tenth anniversary
The popular Your North Somerset event returns to the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare for its tenth year on Sunday 25 January.
- 'Tech geniuses' at the library
A weekly IT helpdesk to support people using computers starts at Weston Library this Thursday (15 January).
- Avoid Hutton roadworks warning
Motorists in Weston-super-Mare are being warned to avoid the Banwell Road and Hutton Hill area between Elborough and Hutton village during the last two weeks of January.
- Sport activator role opportunities
Have you the passion, enthusiasm and time to support others to become more physically active in Weston-super-Mare?
- Get motivated this year!
Whatever it is that motivates you to take up exercise, make it your focus for getting fitter this year.
- Exciting new chapter for Winter Gardens could move a step closer
An exciting new chapter for the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare as part of the regeneration of the town centre could move a step nearer next week.
- Local bus services to continue despite budget savings
All council-supported bus services in North Somerset will continue this year with new three-year contracts beginning on Sunday 29 March.
- Broadchurch is back starring...Clevedon
The much anticipated second series of ITV's award-winning Broadchurch returns to our screens next week.
- Supporting the 'Stop the rot' campaign
New research reveals that poisons in tobacco smoke break down the body’s main systems, damaging bones, muscles, brain, teeth and eyes.
- Be a community sport leader
Have you been inspired by a coach or sports professional? Would you like to lead sports sessions and motivate others?
- Beat the burglar this winter
We have teamed up with the police to launch a stay safe and beat the burglar campaign.
- Revamped thanks to young volunteers
Two rooms in a resource centre for children have been given a make-over thanks to a group of young people.
- Don't be a Dick or a Franny this Christmas
A hard-hitting campaign aimed at 18 to 30-year-old-drinkers in Weston-super-Mare has been launched.
- Long Ashton Poppy Trail
Residents of Long Ashton are being invited to discover more about the men from the village who served in the First World War.
- Check that your vodka is safe
Counterfeit Smirnoff Vodka with potential health hazards has been discovered at a number of retail shops and bars in Weston-super-Mare.
- Don't miss school applications deadline
Parents of children due to start school in September 2015 are urged not to miss the closing date for applications.
- Go dry this January
Residents are being encouraged to take a break from the booze next month in a bid to improve health, reduce calorie intake and benefit finances.
- Exciting times for Clevedon
These are exciting times for Clevedon seafront with the restoration of Marine Lake due to start next year and the £1.5m pier visitor centre project already under way.
- Work starts on further improving town centre pedestrian links
The first phase of planned works to improve pedestrian links between the railway station and the town centre in Weston-super-Mare started this week.
- Book sale at Portishead Library
Portishead Library is hosting a big book sale next weekend (13 and 14 December) with a range of titles on offer from just 30p.
- Get ready to ReACT at Somerset Hall
Somerset Hall in Portishead will soon be home to the newest branch of a popular local theatre school.
- Festive opening hours
There will be changes to council service opening times over Christmas and the New Year.
- Green travel initiatives rewarded
Companies from across the West of England have been praised for their efforts in helping employees find greener ways to get to and from work.
- Warm up North Somerset
An ambitious programme designed to warm up the worst privately rented properties in the area has been launched by North Somerset Council.
- Yeo Moor scoops national film award
For the second year running Yeo Moor Primary School in Clevedon has won a top award at the national 'Kids for Kids' film festival.
- New Year bus service changes
Significant changes to local bus services will come into effect in January as First reviews its network in North Somerset.
- Funding boost for Armed Forces housing project
A housing project for Armed Forces veterans in North Somerset has received a welcome funding boost.
- Planning prosecutions
North Somerset Council has prosecuted two people this month for failing to comply with planning notices.
- Funding for scheme to keep children with families
North Somerset Council has been awarded £104,000 by Big Lottery to develop an innovative scheme to help keep more children with their families.
- Road improvements in Portbury
Road improvements will be carried out in Portbury next month as part of North Somerset Council's ongoing investment in the district's roads.
- Library events
A free learn to knit taster session for adults is taking place at Weston Library in the Town Hall this Sunday (23 November).
- Farmer jailed for animal cruelty
A 62-year-old farmer has been jailed for a number of animal welfare offences following a successful prosecution by North Somerset Council’s trading standards service.
- Libraries support for domestic abuse victims
Help for people affected by domestic abuse will be available at libraries throughout North Somerset during the last week of November.
- Tackling residents' concerns
Stronger partnership working is being developed in North Somerset to ensure the issues that concern local residents are addressed more effectively.
- Safeguarding children's health
North Somerset Council is leading the way in protecting children from the harmful effects of secondhand smoke and helping to prevent them taking up the habit when they are older.
- Weston Villages flood solution - phase 2
A planning application has been submitted for the second phase of the Weston Villages strategic flood solution.
- Driving home the community meals message
A national road relay to promote the importance of community meals will stop off in Weston-super-Mare on Monday (10 November).
- Successful first year of commuter coach service marked by transport award
Celebrations for the first anniversary of the North Bristol Commuter Coach service this week have been topped off with an important transport award.
- First phase of leisure centre investment is completed
The first phase of North Somerset Council's £1.2m investment at Parish Wharf Leisure Centre in Portishead has been completed.
- Weston carnival is back
Stunning illuminations will light up the night sky above Weston-super-Mare when the popular carnival returns to town.
- From bump to baby
Support for pregnant and breastfeeding mums in and around Weston-super-Mare is available at two "Bump to Baby" drop-in sessions.
- Armed forces advice and support service in North Somerset
As Remembrance Day approaches and thoughts turn to the sacrifices made by our armed forces, the North Somerset Armed Forces Advice and Support Service continues to offer advice and support to all service personnel, veterans and their families.
- National Adoption Week
North Somerset Council and other local authorities in the South West together with two voluntary agencies have joined forces to celebrate National Adoption Week.
- A challenging approach to dementia
More than 160 people have joined forces today (Monday 3 November) in Weston-super-Mare in a bid to improve the support offered to those living with dementia.
- Road improvements at Clifton Suspension Bridge
Improvement works on Bridge Road in Leigh Woods leading to Clifton Suspension Bridge have made a "positive difference" to the area.
- Views sought on school term dates
You are invited to have your say on the proposed school term and holiday dates for the 2016/17 school year in North Somerset.
- Become a snow warden
Do you want to help prepare your community for winter? Then why not volunteer to become a snow warden and help keep local access routes clear when the weather gets tough.
- Council response to DCLG letter about North Somerset Life
Chief Executive of North Somerset Council, Mike Jackson, has written to the Department for Communities and Local Government in response to a letter from that department about the frequency of the council's award-winning monthly magazine.
- Gardens future set for community use
The future use of the Winter Gardens as a community venue, remains high on the agenda for North Somerset Council and Weston College as negotiations continue regarding the redevelopment of the building.
- A day in the life
A major community event is celebrating its tenth anniversary by capturing a day in the life of North Somerset’s residents.
- Essential website maintenance - online 'planning' forms unavailable for a period on Tuesday 28 October 2014
Due to essential maintenance work, the council's online planning forms won't be available from noon on Tuesday 28 October 2014 for a period of up to four hours.
- Child car seat safety checks
Around a third of child car seats checked during two recent in-car safety days of action in North Somerset were incorrectly fitted.
- Councils forge ahead with joint working
North Somerset Council and Bath & North East Somerset Council continue to work closely together to make the best use of expertise and resources.
- More recognition for North Somerset Council
North Somerset Council has scooped more top awards in recognition of its traffic improvement schemes and economic development projects.
- Council approves transformation and transfer proposals
Proposals that will help narrow the gap in North Somerset Council’s budget were approved by councillors last night (Tuesday 21 October).
- Deadline date for school places
Time is running out for parents applying for a secondary school place or for Year 10 intake admission for their child for September 2015.
- Go on a journey with the South West Reading Passport
Delve into the dark, get passionate, wax lyrical and look into the future with reading this autumn. That’s the tempting offer from this year’s South West Reading Passport in North Somerset libraries.
- Halloween Family Fright Night
There will be Halloween fun for everyone in Weston-super-Mare town centre on Friday 31 October at the free 'Halloween Fright Night' event.
- Sports Leader Award coming soon
Have you been inspired by a coach or sports professional? Would you like to lead sports sessions and motivate others?
- Clevedon Road improvements
Work to improve the B3128 Clevedon Road at two locations in Wraxall and Failand will be carried out next week.
- New regeneration vision for Weston-super-Mare
Employment, education, leisure, retail and residential are all set to play a greater role in the future of Weston-super-Mare town centre as a new vision for regeneration is developed.
- Raising awareness of hate crime
New research has shown that only one in six victims of hate crime in North Somerset is reporting their experience.
- Festival finale attracts over 10,000 visitors
More than 10,000 people attended the two-day 'Made in North Somerset Showcase' at the National Trust's Tyntesfield Estate in Wraxall.
- Nailsea during the First World War
Find out about Nailsea during the First World War at a special event at the town's library in the October school holidays.
- October holiday fun at The Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle, Weston-super-Mare will have lots on offer during the coming school holidays (27-31 October), including an Ofsted registered all-day holiday club.
- Get online at your local library
Libraries in North Somerset are taking part in national 'Get Online Week' next week (13-17 October) giving people the opportunity to improve their computer and internet skills.
- Weston marks World Mental Health Day
World Mental Health Day on Friday (10 October) is being marked in Weston-super-Mare by the Carlton Centre which is bringing together a range of organisations who work to support individuals with mental health needs.
- Get the flu jab at a local pharmacy
The majority of pharmacies in North Somerset are now offering the flu jab. In a welcome initiative, certain groups of people can receive the free vaccination at their local pharmacy.
- Free support for Stoptober challenge
Free support is available throughout October to help smokers signing up to the Stoptober challenge.
- Festival finale showcases local producers and artists
The finale of the 'Made in North Somerset' festival takes place this weekend (4 and 5 October) at the National Trust’s Tyntesfield Estate in Wraxall.
- National recognition for motorway junction improvement schemes
Major schemes to relieve traffic congestion at two motorway junctions in North Somerset have been shortlisted for national awards.
- The Registration Service is moving
The North Somerset Register Office in Weston-super-Mare will be moving next week from its current location on the Boulevard to the Town Hall.
- Another award nomination for North Somerset Council
Following the submission of an entry in the South West Insider Magazine Annual Awards, North Somerset Council has been shortlisted in the 'local authority of the year' award.
- Helping people walk for health
Walking for Health is helping people across North Somerset to become more active every day.
- Improvements make it easier for pupils to walk or cycle to school
Hundreds of pupils in Weston-super-Mare can now travel to school more safely following improvements to the north side of the Queensway and Rectors Way.
- New lease of life for North Somerset roads
More roads in North Somerset are about to be given a new lease of life.
- More sign up to 'Breastfeeding Welcome' scheme
The 'Breastfeeding Welcome' scheme was relaunched in North Somerset during the recent Breastfeeding Awareness Week, with six new businesses signing up to the scheme within a week.
- 'Sportivate' funding available in North Somerset
Sports projects and groups in Long Ashton, Nailsea, Yatton and Bleadon can now apply for funding to help give young people a chance to access sport.
- North Somerset tourism flying high
The number of visitors to North Somerset and the contribution they make to the local economy continues to rise.
- New cycling and pedestrian route along A369
The latest phase of works to improve cycle and pedestrian links between Portishead and Abbots Leigh starts on Monday 22 September.
- Restored bandstand re-opens
The Victorian bandstand in Grove Park, Weston-super-Mare re-opens this Sunday (21 September) with a concert by Weston Brass.
- Weston Library hosts ‘Somerset Remembers’
Weston Library is hosting the ‘Somerset Remembers’ touring exhibition this month, helping people to understand the impact of the First World War on the county.
- Stop smoking, start smiling
Stoptober, the 28-day stop smoking challenge from Public Health England, is encouraging smokers in North Somerset to swap their fags for gags to help them quit for good this October.
- Volunteering opportunities at children's centres
Are you are looking to learn new skills, meet new people and give something back to your local community? Is so, then volunteering at a North Somerset children's centre could be for you!
- Time to apply for school places for next year
Now is the time to apply for school places if your child is due to start school or transfer to a junior or secondary school next year.
- Algae at Portishead Lake Grounds
Following tests at Portishead Lake Grounds, the presence of blue-green algae has been confirmed.
- Sexual health week - take control
The public health team at North Somerset Council is joining the national campaign to tackle the confusion and stigma around contraception.
- Portishead Library hosts big book sale
Portishead Library is hosting a big book sale with a range of old titles for sale from just 30p.
- Bringing sport to disadvantaged communities
North Somerset Council and the national charity StreetGames are working together to bring sport to disadvantaged communities in North Somerset.
- Tropicana will soon be back in business
The Tropicana at Weston-super-Mare will soon have a new lease of life. North Somerset Council’s members are due to meet on Tuesday September 23 to discuss proposals to bring the site back into use.
- Have your say on local pharmacy services
We are consulting on pharmaceutical service needs in the area and residents are invited to have their say.
- Free school meals take-up - the story so far
Following the introduction of free school meals for key stage 1-age children at the beginning of the month, early indications from North Somerset schools are that there have been very few teething problems getting all the children fed.
- Weston Library supports national campaign to get children reading
Weston Library is supporting ITV Good Morning Britain’s ‘Just Read’ campaign to encourage parents and carers to spend ten minutes reading with their children every day.
- Party time in Portishead
Calling all disco divas and party people! Somerset Hall in Portishead is the venue for a night of ‘music through the decades’ on Friday 26 September.
- If it's made in North Somerset it's in the festival
The annual ‘Made in North Somerset’ festival is returning with more local producers and makers than ever before.
- More disabled people playing sport
Two years on from the Paralympic Games, North Somerset is seeing an increase in the number of disabled people playing sport.
- Heritage open day at the Town Hall
The Town Hall in Weston-super-Mare is opening its doors and offering people the chance to visit parts of the historic building not normally open to the public.
- Street lights to be replaced in Portishead
More than 220 ageing street lighting columns in Portishead will be replaced over the next few months.
- Free family fun in Jubilee Park
There's fun for all the family in Jubilee Park, Weston-super-Mare this Saturday (6 September) from 1pm to 4pm.
- Support scheme seeks more volunteers
A scheme that supports young people in North Somerset is seeking more volunteers.
- Hill Road improvements
Improvements to Hill Road in Sandford will be carried out over the next couple of weeks as part of North Somerset Council's ongoing investment in the district's roads.
- North Somerset libraries host 'Techy Tea Parties'
Do you find technology a bit baffling and struggle to use the various devices that are now available?
- On-street parking scheme
The extension of the on-street parking scheme in central Weston-super-Mare, agreed by North Somerset Council earlier this year, comes into effect on Monday (1 September).
- Sustainable travel funding for businesses
A new round of funding has opened for employers in North Somerset who promote sustainable travel and smarter driving to their employees.
- Making sport more accessible for disadvantaged young people
North Somerset Council and the national charity StreetGames are working together to bring sport to disadvantaged communities in North Somerset.
- New buses for Blagdon
Two new bus services will begin operating in the Blagdon area next week following investment by North Somerset Council.
- Getting more people into sport
The new Chequebook Sport project will be launched by North Somerset Council next month.
- Helping troubled families
North Somerset Council is one of 51 "high performing local authorities" in the country to be chosen by the government to be at the forefront of the expanded Troubled Families Programme.
- North Somerset on course to provide free school meals
Building and renovation work on school kitchens across North Somerset is nearing completion, ready for the introduction of free school meals for infants in September.
- Puxton footpath re-opens
A public footpath crossing Puxton Moor, a nature reserve in North Somerset, has re-opened after many years.
- Walking takes off in Clevedon
Health walks in Clevedon are expanding thanks to a number of newly trained volunteer walk leaders.
- £10m expansion project brings 634 new school places
Up to 634 new primary school places will be available in North Somerset at the start of term this September.
- Celebrate at Somerset Hall this summer
If you have a special occasion coming up this summer and are looking for a high quality venue to host it, then a special offer running at Somerset Hall in Portishead could be for you.
- New study to combat childhood obesity
North Somerset Council is teaming up with the University of Bristol to help fight obesity by promoting healthy eating for pre-school children.
- Dispersal zone for town centre
A new ‘dispersal zone’ will be introduced in Weston-super-Mare town centre today as part of crackdown on anti-social behaviour in the resort.
- £670,000 bid for health and care integration
North Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group and North Somerset Council have moved a step closer to being awarded a government grant to develop further integration of their health and social care services.
- Important information about the ‘your vote matters’ letter
If you have received a ‘your vote matters’ letter from the council regarding registering to vote in future elections, please read this information.
- Surface dressing programme
The £600,000 surface dressing programme covering around 17 miles of North Somerset's roads has been largely completed.
- UK's top water skiers to compete at Weston
Over 30 high speed boats will be racing at Weston-super-Mare this month. Spectators at Knightstone Island will have the best vantage point to watch some of the country’s top water skiers competing at high speeds.
- Major roadworks on the A370 Long Ashton bypass start next week
A £3.4m scheme to replace essential parts of the Long Ashton bypass at Yanley Viaduct kicks off next week as part of North Somerset Council’s commitment to investing in roads.
- Get involved with the a-Maze-ing reading challenge
Thousands of children have already signed up but libraries in North Somerset are still encouraging children to take part in the amazing Mythical Maze Summer Reading Challenge.
- Local electoral arrangements finalised
The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England has published its final recommendations for new electoral arrangements for North Somerset Council.
- North Somerset benefits from over £130m transport investment
The roads and transport network of North Somerset are set to benefit from over £130m of investment in a series of projects across the area.
- Tackling illegal tobacco event - a success
An event to increase awareness about illegal tobacco held in Weston-super-Mare last month has been hailed a success.
- QUIT is a success
One Weston-super-Mare family is £150 better off after they won a competition as part of the QUIT programme.
- Trading Standards warning - say no to doorstep traders
Trading Standards officers at North Somerset Council are warning residents to be on their guard
- Investing in leisure services
As part of the review of leisure services, North Somerset Council is investing £1.5m in two of its leisure centres.
- Queens of Crime
Visitors to Nailsea and Clevedon libraries, who like reading crime fiction, are in for a treat this summer as both libraries are promoting books by female crime writers.
- Council's high five!
Open spaces in North Somerset have again been recognised as some of the best in the country.
- 'Think bike' signs
Signs urging road users to 'think bike' are going up on a Weston-super-Mare road this week.
- Road recycling repair programme
A £370,000 road recycling repair programme is being carried out by North Somerset Council during August as part of its continuing investment in the district's roads.
- Free holiday fun!
If you’re looking for something to keep the kids entertained over the summer holidays why not come along to the family fun days?
- Marking 100 years since Britain entered the First World War
"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time" - these are the words spoken by Sir Edward Grey, Foreign Secretary in August 1914, as Britain’s ultimatum to Germany was about to expire.
- Growth fund boosts local jobs
Businesses across North Somerset have another chance to apply for funding from the West of England Growth Fund.
- Council shortlisted for national awards
The National Transport Awards celebrate innovation and excellence across the transport sector and North Somerset Council has been shortlisted in two categories.
- Work to start on Wrington flood relief scheme
Work on the first phase of a £670,000 flood relief scheme for Wrington will kick off on Monday 4 August.
- UWE Bristol sponsors 'Made in North Somerset' festival
A three-week celebration of local food, drink, art and craft events will take place at venues across North Somerset between Saturday 13 September and Sunday 5 October.
- Child car seat checks
Nearly half the child car seats checked during a recent in-car safety day of action were incorrectly fitted.
- Tackling illegal tobacco
The campaign to tackle cheap illegal tobacco in North Somerset is coming to Weston-super-Mare town centre this Friday (25 July).
- Funding bid success for further sustainable transport improvements
North Somerset Council has successfully bid for an additional £1.3m of funding from the Department for Transport’s (DfT) Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF).
- MBE for former council chief
The former chief executive of North Somerset Council, Graham Turner, has been presented with his MBE by The Queen at an investiture at Windsor Castle.
- Flora and fags don't go
More than 250 portable cigarette pouches were handed out by Smokefree North Somerset during the Weston-in-Bloom judging day last week.
- Breast is best
The benefits of breastfeeding will be highlighted in a series of events at North Somerset children's centres as part of Breastfeeding Awareness Week (from Friday 1 to Thursday 7 August).
- Torrential rain possible this weekend
The Met Office is warning that there could be heavy rain, lightning, hail and squally winds this weekend.
- Road resurfacing schemes
Road resurfacing schemes in Clevedon and Flax Bourton are to be carried out by North Somerset Council as part of its commitment to invest in the district's roads.
- Best-selling author in Portishead
Best-selling author Lesley Pearse will be appearing in Portishead on Thursday 24 July to talk about her writing.
- Local youth get more support
Congratulations to the latest mentors who have successfully passed the 10-week training course to join the Junction 21 Mentoring Project.
- Works at junction 21
Updated Thursday 10 July - Good news! Because work has progressed well over the last two nights the road closures planned for tonight will not now be necessary
- Illegal tobacco raids
Trading Standards have raided a number of premises in Weston-super-Mare as part of an investigation into the supply of illegal tobacco in North Somerset.
- Our Big Gig comes to Weston
Over 7,000 musicians will be performing on ferries across the Mersey, in skate parks, on village greens, in a hospital, a castle and in venues from St Ives to Shetland for the country’s biggest music festival this weekend (11 to 13 July).
- Dashboard-mounted cameras
Dashboard-mounted cameras to help protect its fleet drivers in the event of an incident are being installed by North Somerset Council.
- Healthy schools celebration event
An event celebrating North Somerset healthy schools is taking place at the Clevedon Community Centre on Thursday (10 July) between 1pm and 3pm.
- Broadoak Hill temporary closure
Broadoak Hill in Dundry will be closed next week to enable geological investigations to be carried out in the area.
- Mythical Maze Summer Reading Challenge
Libraries in North Somerset are inviting children to take part in the amazing Mythical Maze Summer Reading Challenge.
- Millions to be spent creating a brighter future in North Somerset
North Somerset Council and Weston College welcomed news of a multi-million pound Government investment to improve skills in the region.
- Major work on A370 Long Ashton bypass
A £3.4m scheme to replace essential parts of the Long Ashton bypass at Yanley Viaduct will kick off next month as part of North Somerset Council’s commitment to investing in roads.
- Trop proposals 'likely to fail'
Following the failure of Trop WsM Ltd to come forward with any funding agreement for their project, and an independent assessment of the current proposals, North Somerset Council members will now be asked to consider the next steps.
- Broadchurch is back
Filming for the second series of the award-winning ITV drama is under way and once again the production crew and cast have been out and about on location in North Somerset.
- Maintenance work on route into Weston
Annual maintenance work along more than three miles of dual carriageway from junction 21 of the M5 into Weston-super-Mare will take place next week.
Weston-super-Mare is playing host to another major music event this weekend.
- Bag it, don't bin it! Recycling food waste just got easier
Residents now have the option to use plastic carrier bags to line their food waste bin following a successful trial by North Somerset Council.
- The only direction is to Clevedon pier!
Visitor numbers to Clevedon's historic pier have rocketed since the release of a pop-music video.
- Investment in local bus services continues
Bus services in the district are to benefit from continued investment by North Somerset Council.
- North Somerset recycling rate tops 58 per cent
There has been a recorded drop in the amount of North Somerset’s waste sent for treatment or landfill.
- Two awards for building control
At a ceremony to celebrate building excellence in the West of England, North Somerset Building Control picked up two awards.
- Don't waste it and save money!
A successful campaign designed to help residents reduce, reuse and recycle more of their waste continues to be effective, but the pressure is still on to reduce the financial cost of waste disposal.
- Long Ashton library improvements complete
Long Ashton Library will opens its doors on Tuesday 24 June following a three week closure to convert an underused storage area into a community space.
- Don't waste your old electronic equipment!
Residents have the opportunity to drop off their old electrical and electronic equipment at a number of locations across the district this summer.
- Weston Air Festival ready for take off!
Dazzling displays are set to take place in the skies above Weston-super-Mare beach for the feature packed two day air festival on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 June.
- Winterstoke Road improvements
Improvements are being made along a stretch of Winterstoke Road in Weston-super-Mare between the Macfarlane Chase roundabout and the railway bridge.
- Commuters urged to leave cars at home in fun summer challenge
From today (Monday 16 June), people across the West of England are being encouraged to swap their usual car journeys to and from work in favour of more sustainable travel options.
- Big Scoop on the Strawberry Line
Officers from North Somerset Council will be out and about along a popular dog walking route on Friday 13 June as part of a national campaign to encourage dog walkers to pick up after their pets.
- Consultation on the location for Portishead rail station
MetroWest has issued the following press release about the consultation on the potential locations for Portishead rail station.
- Dementia care matters in North Somerset
North Somerset Council is working closely with the local clinical commissioning group and a national dementia care organisation.
- Support disabled people to take up sport
A new national training workshop for people who organise or support sporting opportunities for disabled people is coming to North Somerset.
- The road to success
An important milestone in the development of the new Weston Villages was reached last Friday with the opening of the new cross-airfield link road in Weston-super-Mare.
- Extra parking for commuters
A £700,000 scheme to provide more parking spaces for commuters has been completed, on time and £50,000 under budget.
- Make recycling your goal during the World Cup
With the World Cup coming up, football fans across North Somerset are being encouraged to make recycling one of their tournament goals.
- Safeguarding North Somerset's leisure services
Leisure service provision across the district is to be reviewed by North Somerset Council to ensure its leisure centres appeal to the widest possible audience and key services continue to be delivered in the long term.
- Individual electoral registration has arrived
The way you register to vote is changing across the UK. In North Somerset, around 26,000 residents may need to take action to join the new register, even if they were registered in the past.
- Funding boost for Chequebook Sport
People living in Weston-super-Mare are set to benefit from a funding boost to the Chequebook Sport scheme.
- Crime writers under the spotlight
Yatton Library will be hosting three top crime writers later this month who will give a talk about their work and inspiration.
- Portishead Library big book sale
Portishead Library will be hosting a big book sale, with a range of old titles offered for sale from just 30p.
- National numeracy challenge - don't let numbers hold you back!
Libraries in North Somerset are encouraging everyone to check out their everyday maths skills during Adult Learners Week.
- Celebrations as grant is announced for historic lake's restoration
The restoration of the historic Marine Lake in Clevedon has moved a huge step forward as local groups celebrate a grant of almost £800,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Positive results from Ofsted inspections
The findings of recent Ofsted inspections of schools in the district and the quality of support offered by the local authority have been welcomed by North Somerset Council.
- Response to closure of the Boulevard health services
Following the referral of concerns over the closure of the Boulevard health centre in Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset Council has received a response from Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt, MP, Secretary of State for Health.
- Encouraging a smoke-free family life
An innovative programme based around the dangers of tobacco and smoking is being delivered in nine North Somerset primary schools.
- Men's health week
This year's Men’s Health Week (Monday 9 to Sunday 15 June) is focusing on health at work, including stress and unemployment.
- MUGA on the move
People in Portishead are being invited to a drop-in session on proposals to move a multi-use games area (MUGA).
- Councils consider closer collaboration
This month’s meeting of North Somerset Council’s Executive will see councillors vote on proposals for closer working arrangements with neighbouring Bath and North East Somerset Council.
- Local leisure centres family open day
Three leisure centres in North Somerset are opening their doors on Sunday 15 June to showcase their facilities and the activities they offer, completely free of charge!
- Discover a new talent at your library for Adult Learners' Week
North Somerset libraries are celebrating Adult Learners' Week (Saturday 14 to Friday 20 June) with a number of taster sessions.
- Work starts on restoring bandstand
Work has started on the restoration of Grove Park bandstand in Weston-super-Mare.
- Free digital magazines for library members
North Somerset library borrowers can now download popular magazines to view on their computer, tablet or smartphone and don't forget that if you're not a member it's free to join!
- Route 88 bus service launched
A vital new bus link between Portishead and Clevedon begins operation next week.
- Fostering a love of reading during National Bookstart Week
Special story time and Bookstart rhymetime sessions for pre-school age children and their parents will be held at libraries across North Somerset as part of National Bookstart Week – Monday 9 to Sunday 15 June.
- Have your say on the Great Western rail franchise
The Department for Transport has issued the following press release to encourage rail passengers in the South West to have their say on the Great Western rail franchise.
- Refurbishment work at Long Ashton Library
Work to improve the facilities on offer at Long Ashton Library will start next week.
- The future of policing in Weston
The town hall in Weston-super-Mare is the venue for a presentation about the future of policing in the area.
- Lead the way to better health
More volunteers are needed to help organise and lead health walks in North Somerset.
- More action on the district's roads
This month sees the launch of two new teams to tackle potholes and other urgent road repairs across North Somerset...
- Council leads way to create economic growth
Employment-led development is key to creating job opportunities and one UK local authority is making sure planning does not get in the way of economic growth.
- Future of former library building remains uncertain
The future of Weston’s much-loved former library building on the Boulevard remains uncertain after extensive discussions have failed to find a viable community use for the building.
- Sunday afternoon walks
What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than enjoying some beautiful scenery and learning about local history at the same time?
- 'A good school in all respects'
Walliscote Primary School in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating after Ofsted inspectors judged the overall effectiveness of the school to be 'good'.
- Your chance to tell us about health and wellbeing
A questionnaire to assess how widespread the factors influencing the health and wellbeing of residents are is being sent to residents across four wards in the district.
- Make a Noise in Libraries Fortnight
Come along to your local library between Monday 2 and Sunday 15 June and see what’s on offer as part of Make a Noise in Libraries Fortnight!
- Better cycling, pedestrian and riding links around Portbury Dock
Improvements to the Portbury bridleway have made this key commuter link route much easier for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders to use.
- Be part of the 'Made in north somerset' festival
Are you a North Somerset food and drink producer, artist, crafter, pub, restaurant, café, community growing group or orchard?
- Festival of Learning activities in North Somerset libraries
There are exciting activities for children, adults and families happening across North Somerset libraries over the school holiday week as part of the Festival of Learning.
- Congresbury resurfacing scheme completed
A road resurfacing scheme in Congresbury has been completed early and on budget.
- Set sail for free family fun
There will be a lot of swashbuckling in evidence when a pirate fun day takes place in Weston-super-Mare at the end of this month.
- Rogue trader avoids prison by paying compensation
A rogue trader has avoided jail by paying more than £2,000 compensation to the elderly victims he defrauded.
- Call for more foster carers
The need to recruit more foster carers in North Somerset is being highlighted during Foster Care Fortnight (12-25 May).
- Windwhistle's Ofsted
Everyone involved at Windwhistle Primary School is celebrating the results of their latest Ofsted inspection.
- Affordable housing scheme officially opened
A brand new development of 51 affordable rental homes has been officially opened by Raglan Housing in Langford Road, Weston-super-Mare. The new homes have regenerated a disused industrial site which once housed a Royal Mail sorting office.
- The great galactic bike hike
On Sunday 15 June the Strawberry Line welcomes The Great Galactic Bike Hike that will run between Yatton and Winscombe.
- New campaign urges residents to become dementia friends
North Somerset Council is supporting the national campaign to create dementia friends to help people in their community living with the disease.
- Taking action on noise
Noise Action Week, held this month, aims to raise awareness about noise issues and provide information on the services available to tackle the problem.
- RAF Falcons to feature at Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Day
The RAF Falcons parachute display team will perform at the Weston Air Festival and the Armed Forces Day celebration on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 June thanks to sponsorship from Weston College.
- First aid at work
A first aid at work course organised by North Somerset Council will be held at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare in June.
- Marking Local and Community History Month
Libraries in North Somerset are celebrating Local and Community History Month by highlighting their research collections of maps, newspapers and photos with displays and talks.
- Core strategy examination - inspector's response
We have received a letter from the independent planning inspector who held the re-examination of parts of our Core Strategy following a high court challenge.
- Free family fun in the park!
Come along to Jubilee Park in Weston-super-Mare on Saturday 10 May from 1pm until 4pm for the Family Fun Day in the park.
- Designing for diversity
A new website has been launched by North Somerset Council providing physical access design guidance for businesses, organisations, community groups and professional designers.
- Neighbourhood plan for Backwell
Plans that could bring a North Somerset community one step closer to deciding how their local neighbourhood and community is shaped have been submitted by the Backwell Parish Council.
- New edition of the Weston pocket guide is out!
The new handy-sized Weston pocket map is now available
- Engage - reaching out to young drivers
Driving instructors in North Somerset have benefitted from training provided by North Somerset Council.
- Congresbury resurfacing scheme
As part of its continuing commitment to improving the highway network in the district, North Somerset Council will start a £150,000 resurfacing scheme in Congresbury next month.
- Be healthier and happier with SHINE
Young people aged 10 -17 are being invited to take part in a 10-week weight-management programme.
- Locals benefit from legacy project
Sportivate is a £56 million Lottery-funded London 2012 legacy project that gives more young people the chance to discover a sport that they love.
- New timetable for the 83
A new timetable for the 83 bus service starts from Monday 28 April.
- If you're planning on hatching an Easter treat avoid a shocking surprise!
The trading standards team at North Somerset Council is wishing everyone a Happy Easter, but if you're planning on hatching an Easter treat avoid a shocking surprise!
- Resurfacing in Abbots Leigh
A resurfacing scheme will get under way later this month that will see improved highway safety and driving conditions on the A369 in Abbots Leigh.
- Ranger service guided walks
A series of guided walks organised by North Somerset Council's ranger service gives you the opportunity to enjoy some beautiful scenery and learn about local history at the same time.
- Sharing a passion for reading on World Book Night
Reading enthusiasts in North Somerset will be encouraging others to share their passion as part of celebrations for World Book Night on 23 April.
- Annual report from the director of public health
The state of the district's health is highlighted in a report to be considered by North Somerset Council's Executive this week.
- Let's talk housing
A survey in to the area's private rented sector is being carried out by North Somerset Council.
- Volunteers needed for summer reading challenge
Are you aged 14 or over? Are you looking for something to do this summer? Want to give back to your community? Do you like reading? Looking for great skills and experience for your personal statement or CV?
- Growth fund to boost local jobs
Businesses across North Somerset have another chance to apply for funding from the West of England Growth Fund.
- Climb on board the land train
Weston-super-Mare has welcomed two new land trains to the seafront.
- Successful fly-tipping prosecution
A man from Weston-super-Mare has been ordered to pay thousands of pounds in costs and given a four week curfew after pleading guilty to flytipping.
- North Somerset 'call for sites'
A call has gone out for people to let North Somerset Council know about potential development sites across the district.
- Been inspired - then help others to be inspired too!
Have you been inspired by a sports coach or sports professional? Would you like to lead local multi-sport sessions in your community and motivate others?
- Stay and play this Easter!
Crockerne Children’s Centre in Pill will be running stay and play sessions during the Easter holidays for children aged 0-5 years.
- Bandstand restoration boost
Plans to restore the bandstand in Grove Park, Weston-super-Mare have received a huge boost with a donation of £10,000 from the Weston Trust.
- McBusted and Backstreet Boys hit the beach this summer
McBusted and the Backstreet Boys will entertain the crowds in Weston-super-Mare this summer with a massive one day show on the beach.
- Revenues and benefits website maintenance
Our revenues and benefits self service portal will be offline on Tuesday 1 April.
- New community bus for Locking Parklands
People living in Locking Parklands will have their own dedicated connection to Weston town centre from Monday (31 March) thanks to a new community bus.
- Meet the new assistant at Weston Tourist Information Service
If you visit Weston Tourist Information Service (TIS) on Friday 4 April between 10.45am and 11.45am you will find a new member of staff.
- Wraxall works
A resurfacing scheme which will also see improved pedestrian crossing facilities and bridge waterproofing work is due to get under way in Wraxall tomorrow.
- Safer food really does mean better business
A number of takeaway businesses have received food hygiene training in their first language as part of a business support project by North Somerset Council.
- Celebrating community sport
A lunch held to celebrate local community sport coaches and their organisations raised over £3,600 for local sports activities.
- Residents urged to be vigilant for a financial scam
Residents in North Somerset are being warned to be vigilant for a financial scam.
- Jobs fair promotes employment opportunities
Are you looking for a job or thinking of a new career? Then come along to an event offering the opportunity to meet with some of the area’s biggest employers.
- Vulcan to return to air festival
The mighty Avro Vulcan Bomber has just been confirmed as one of the headline displays on Sunday at this year's Weston Air Festival taking place on the 21 and 22 June.
- School place provision in North Somerset
We have commented following a press release from the Local Government Association.
- Councillors consider parking enforcement report
A council committee will be considering a report into parking enforcement at a meeting next week.
- Trader ordered to compensate vulnerable customer
A rogue trader has been ordered to pay thousands of pounds in compensation and costs after preying on an elderly Weston-super-Mare resident.
- Landlord pays for failing to license HMO
Failing to apply for a licence to operate a privately rented house in multiple occupation (known as an HMO) has cost a Weston-super-Mare landlord hundreds of pounds in fines and costs.
- 100 not out for walk volunteers!
The number of volunteers actively involved in North Somerset’s Walking for Health initiative has hit a century!
- Illegal cigarettes more likely to cause a fire
Illegal cigarettes seized by North Somerset Council's trading standards team have failed important safety tests.
- Improving the walking and cycling experience
Work has started on a new off-road shared walking and cycling path in Weston-super-Mare.
- Fly a Flag for the Commonwealth
North Somerset Council will be taking part in 'Fly a Flag for the Commonwealth Day' on Monday 10 March.
- Teenage conceptions in North Somerset at a record low
Latest figures show that the number of teenage conceptions in North Somerset has fallen again.
- Make the most of your school visit to the seaside!
Weston-super-Mare is the ideal place to bring your school group for a fantastic day at the seaside!
- V for victory – winning the battle against cigarettes
The theme of this year's No Smoking Day, on Wednesday 12 March, is V for victory – winning the battle against cigarettes.
- Big book sale at Portishead Library
Portishead Library will be hosting a big book sale, with a range of old titles offered for sale from just 30p.
- Website offline for maintenance
Due to essential maintenance our website will be offline for a short time.
- Celebrating our seaside
North Somerset Council is teaming up with VisitEngland to promote our seaside at Weston-super-Mare, Kewstoke/Sand Bay, Clevedon and Portishead.
- World Book Day celebrations
North Somerset libraries are gearing up to celebrate World Book Day on Thursday 6 March, and reading enthusiasts are encouraged to join the celebrations with many events taking place at local libraries.
- Winscombe Library opening hours to change
Visitors to Winscombe Library are to benefit from extended opening hours thanks to the support of volunteers.
- Chance to increase sporting opportunities for local disabled players
In the same month as the Sochi 2014 Paralympics will be broadcast globally, North Somerset Council is supporting local sports clubs, coaches and volunteers to develop new sporting prospects for disabled players.
- Catch up with yesterday using the archive service
Anyone needing advice on all things historical in Somerset is invited to visit Weston-super-Mare Library at the Town Hall on Thursday 6 March, when an archivist will be on hand to answer questions.
- First aid at work course
A first aid at work course organised by North Somerset Council will be held at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare in April.
- Red Arrows confirmed for Weston Air Festival
The world-renowned Red Arrows will perform at the Weston Air Festival on Saturday 21 June.
- Extra chance to have your say on ward boundaries
The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England has opened a new phase of public consultation in its review of North Somerset Council’s ward boundaries.
- Fairer fares for all
Do you want your opinion heard about the cost of bus travel?
- North Somerset agrees council tax freeze
A council tax freeze for 2014/15 was approved by North Somerset Council at its meeting tonight (Tuesday, 18 February).
- Road works on Herluin Way, Weston-super-Mare
Works to repair sunken manhole covers in Herluin Way, Weston-super-Mare will get underway tomorrow (Tuesday 18 February).
- New funding secured for Armed Forces project
A dedicated support service is being set up in North Somerset to help serving Armed Forces personnel, veterans and their families access the services they need.
- Home Office support for night-time economy plans in Weston
Weston-super-Mare has been chosen as one of just 20 British towns to share best practice and advice on creating a safe and vibrant night-time economy.
- Wrington flood relief scheme approved
A scheme to reduce the impact of flooding in a North Somerset village has moved a step closer, following approval from the Environment Agency.
- Recycling and waste services performing well
Early indications show that North Somerset Council’s waste and recycling services are performing well during 2013/14, which is good news for council tax payers and the environment.
- Official opening for Weston Package
Weston Package, the £15m transport improvements scheme was officially opened by a government minister today.
- Be there tomorrow
Today a candid and heart wrenching new advert about how smoking causes early death will be broadcast to North Somerset homes.
- Core strategy hearing date set
Dates for the hearing for some of the policies in the North Somerset Core Strategy have been set.
- Stay weather aware
With yet more rain and strong winds forecast over the next few days, North Somerset residents are once again being urged to make preparations for the anticipated conditions.
- Fly-tipping costs Weston man thousands
A man from Weston-super-Mare has been ordered to pay fines and costs of over £4,000 following a prosecution for fly-tipping brought by North Somerset Council.
- Splashing cash on the High Street
An event to celebrate the success of the High Street Innovation Fund in North Somerset takes place this month.
- Council to consider new waste treatment contract
A new waste treatment contract which could see a dramatic reduction in the amount of non-recyclable waste sent to landfill will be considered by councillors at the full council meeting on Tuesday 18 February.
- Don't assume you're past it, women over 70 warned
A new national Be Clear on Cancer campaign targets older women to increase early diagnoses of breast cancer.
- No tolerance for commercially aggressive traders
A Bristol man was ordered to pay fines and costs totalling £445 after pleading guilty to an aggressive commercial practice at North Somerset Magistrates Court on Thursday (30 January).
- Tourism summit a success
A conference to celebrate the successes and investments in North Somerset as a visitor destination has been hailed a success.
- Live from the library: the greatest stories ever told!
People in North Somerset are invited to celebrate their local library as part of a week-long series of events to mark National Libraries Day.
- Proposed extension of town centre pay and display parking
Plans to extend on-street parking provision in Weston-super-Mare town centre are being proposed by North Somerset Council...
- Hutton road improvements complete
A four week scheme to deliver drainage and road surface improvements worth £120,000 to a North Somerset village has been completed on time and on budget.
- Website maintenance on Saturday
Some services on our website will be unavailable on our website on Saturday 25 January when we carry out maintenance between 6.30 and 8am.
- Sports coaching taster day
Have you been inspired by a coach or sports professional? Would you like to lead sports sessions and motivate others to excel in sport?
- A springboard to sporting excellence
Performance athletes in North Somerset are being encouraged to apply for a Springboard Award.
- Women urged to attend cervical cancer screening
This week is Cervical Cancer Awareness Week and local health chiefs are urging women in the 25-49 age group to attend regular screenings.
- Traffic light switch on at junction 21
Traffic flow at Weston’s busy motorway junction is set to improve further with the switch on of the junction 21 traffic lights.
- Council prepares to respond to next wave of cuts
As part of its strategy to cope with the continuing reduction in government funding, North Somerset Council is preparing an ambitious transformation programme to drive further efficiency savings.
- Your North Somerset 2014
The popular Your North Somerset event returns to the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare for its ninth year on Sunday 26 January.
- New citizen portal bid approved
A joint bid by North Somerset Council and Avon and Somerset Police to the Home Office Innovation Fund to create a new 'citizen portal' has been successful.
- Website maintenance and library computers offline
We need to carry out some essential maintenance work on our website - this means that the site will be offline from 6 to 8am next Tuesday, 21 January.
- Get connected at Your North Somerset
The popular Your North Somerset event returns to the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare for its ninth year on Sunday 26 January.
- Road improvements in Yatton and Kenn
North Somerset Council continues its commitment to invest in roads with £750,000 worth of improvements to the B3133 in Yatton and Kenn starting this week.
- Don't miss primary school applications deadline
Parents of children due to start school in September 2014 are urged not to miss the closing date for applications.
- Glowing inspection report for learning campus
The Voyage Learning Campus has received high praise from Ofsted following an inspection of its five campus sites with a judgement of good with many outstanding features.
- Scouting for memories in Congresbury
Congresbury Library is hosting a ‘Scouting Memories’ event on Saturday 18 January, as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of scouting.
- Scooter loan scheme on the way
A new scooter loan scheme will make it easier for local people to travel to work or training.
- Residents urged to stay weather aware
With more heavy rain, high tides and strong winds forecast for the next 48 hours, North Somerset residents are being urged to make preparations for the anticipated conditions.
- Find out more about your property
Find out more about your property with our new 'my property' page.
- Former council chief executive awarded MBE
North Somerset Council's former Chief Executive Officer Graham Turner has been awarded an MBE in the New Year’s Honours List for services to local government.
- Smokefree health-harms campaign
Imagine that every time you smoke, blood that’s thick and dirty with toxins circulates through your body in seconds, increasing your chances of a heart attack or stroke. If you could see the damage, you’d stop.
- Help to keep you warm this winter
Did you know that there are schemes available to help you with winter fuel costs?
- Clevedon to Weston cycle path
Work to pave the way for the creation of a public footpath between Clevedon and Weston-super-Mare and continues.
- Snow wardens 'hailed' a success
More snow warden training has been organised in the New Year after a fantastic response so far
- Traffic lights at junction 21
Weston's busy motorway junction is already seeing queues ease as improvement work moves into the final phase.
- Christmas and New Year recycling and waste collections
There are changes to recycling and waste collection days over the festive period because of bank holidays.
- 'Stay safe' campaign
We have teamed up with the police to launch a stay safe campaign
- School admissions consultation
We are consulting on proposed school admission arrangements for 2015-16.
- Helping older people feel less lonely
The festive season is a time for many things including fun, friends and families, but loneliness is a massive issue for people in later life.
- Railway station car park expands
Work on increasing the capacity of a railway station car park is due to get under way next month.
- Celebrating sustainable success
A new luxury commuter coach service that links North Somerset and north Bristol has been recognised at the annual TravelWest Business Travel Awards.
- Funding bid success for essential viaduct work
North Somerset Council has successfully bid for just under £2m from the Department for Transport (DfT) for essential maintenance work on the 45-year-old Yanley viaduct.
- Gadgets to help people get online
Westonworks has been awarded £3,500 from the Tinder Foundation (formerly UK Online) as part of their Home Access Specialist Network Fund programme.
- Comment on our financial plan
We are inviting the public to comment on our medium term financial plan, which is the key financial document for the council...
- Have your say at Winscombe Library
A consultation is being launched on proposals to extend the opening hours at Winscombe Library, with the help of volunteers.
- Thumbs up for new school
A special ceremony to mark the official opening of new school buildings takes place next week.
- Working together to dispel the smoke screen
A recent event to highlight the harmful effects of tobacco on young people in North Somerset has been hailed a success.
- Official opening for new centre
A brand new demonstration and equipment centre that puts independent living at the heart of the home will be officially opened next week.
- Safety first for Bournville pupils
Two major construction companies have joined forces to deliver road safety messages to local school children.
- Major music event joins summer line-up for Weston
Two major live music events are set to hit the beach at Weston this summer with a star-studded line-up of chart-topping acts.
- Get vocal, be heard on flood strategy consultation
Local people are being urged to 'get vocal, be heard' and take part in a consultation on a flood strategy.
- Festive opening times
There will be changes to service opening times over Christmas and the New Year.
- Have your say on Parklands Village
An information event is being held at The Campus as part of the public consultation on the draft plan for council-owned land in the Parklands Village.
- ‘Big book sale’ in Portishead
Portishead Library will be holding a ‘big book sale’ on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 December.
- Council cuts commercial waste
A new vehicle permit policy at recycling centres has prevented hundreds of tonnes of commercial waste being disposed of at the expense of council tax payers.
- When the weather gets rough, snow wardens get going!
There has been a fantastic response so far to the snow warden scheme for North Somerset, with 35 volunteers trained and prepared for winter weather.
- New bus service fills the missing link for employers and staff
Businesses and training providers in North Somerset found out how the new A2 bus service can help them at a recent business breakfast held at Bristol Airport.
- Maintenance scheme for Yanley viaduct
Funding worth hundreds of thousands of pounds is being sought from the Department for Transport to bring forward maintenance work on Yanley viaduct.
- Don't miss the school application deadline!
Parents of children due to start school in September next year are being reminded that they should not let the business of Christmas mean they miss the closing date for applications.
- Don't let flu ruin your festivities - get the jab, get flu safe
In response to the latest flu jab uptake statistics, doctors across North Somerset are urging those most at risk from flu to protect themselves and their families as a matter of priority with a free flu jab.
- Safe Places initiative
Vulnerable people who need assistance while they are out and about can now turn to a friendly face thanks to a new initiative.
- Get vocal, be heard on housing numbers
Local people are being encouraged to 'get vocal, be heard' and take part in a consultation about proposed revised housing figures for North Somerset.
- Better cycle and walking links for south Weston-super-Mare
Walking and cycling to school, work or for leisure is set to become a lot easier and safer for people living and working in the south of Weston-super-Mare.
- Driving towards smart motoring
Smarter driving courses are being offered to employers to help reduce fuel consumption and lower accident rates.
- Yatton Library Christmas Fayre - come and join the fun!
Join in a morning of exciting activities when Yatton Library holds its Christmas Fayre!
- Local businesses boosted by innovation fund
A further nine projects will bring extra vitality to our high streets thanks to the North Somerset High Street Innovation Fund.
- North Somerset Council leads the way
A report has recognised North Somerset Council as the top performing local authority for saving carbon emissions through recycling services.
- Portbury improvements make travel easier for cyclists and horseriders
Cycling and horse riding along the Portbury bridleway will be much easier after improvement work starting today (Monday 25 November).
- New route out of Weston
Major changes are coming to a main route in Weston-super-Mare next week with a new road and traffic layout.
- The growing problem of cyberstalking
The growing problem of cyberstalking is the focus of Domestic Abuse Awareness Week this week (25-29 November).
- Winscombe library late-night opening
As part of Winscombe’s late-night Christmas opening Winscombe library will be open until 9pm, for one night only!
- Historical documents and advice at the town hall
Do you need help and advice about family, house or local history and the archives held in Somerset?
- Weston-super-Mare is changing - be part of it
Junction 21 Enterprise Area (J21EA) is to be promoted at the largest business show in the UK at the end of this month.
- Getting ready for winter
As temperatures continue to drop, now is the time to get ready to cope with winter weather.
- Banwell school raising the roof
Everyone involved with Banwell Primary School is celebrating the completion of work to the school roof!
- Volunteer with your library
Would you like to volunteer at your library?
At the moment our libraries are looking for teams of volunteers to help expand the popular story time and Bookstart Rhymetime sessions across the district.
- Wanted: Snow men (and women!)
With temperatures forecast to plummet in the next few days, volunteers who want to help their community are needed to become snow wardens.
- Green light for more town centre regeneration
The final two phases in the multi-million pound redevelopment of the former Dolphin Square site in Weston-super-Mare town centre have been given the go-ahead by North Somerset Council.
- Latest Tropicana news
At last night's full council meeting of North Somerset Council, councillors considered the latest report about the Tropicana.
- Hygiene all at sea at Ocean Grill
The director of a company which ran a takeaway in Weston-super-Mare has given a 12 month community order requiring 250 hours unpaid work and a six-month curfew after pleading guilty to a number of food safety offences.
- Outstanding achievement for Early Birds Nursery
A children's nursery in Long Ashton has been rated as 'outstanding' following a recent Ofsted inspection.
- Extra closures at junction 21
Bad weather has forced extra overnight road closures around junction 21 this weekend.
- Popping popcorn and toasting marshmallows
The Oldmixon Family Centre (South Weston Children's Centre) in Monkton Avenue, Weston-super-Mare is opening its doors to the local community on Saturday 16 November from 11am to 3pm.
- Junction 19 - one year on
One year on from the completion of multi-million pound improvements at junction 19 of the M5, a new report confirms how well the changes are working.
- New commuter service is launched
A brand new coach commuter service has been launched, providing commuters with a convenient, quick and green link between North Somerset and north Bristol.
- School term dates - get vocal, be heard!
Term dates for the 2015/16 school year are now under review and parents, carers, teachers and support staff, governors and head teachers; in fact, anyone who has an interest in our children's education is invited to have their say.
- A reminder to make sure you can vote
Reminder forms are being posted out to residents who have not so far replied to the electoral registration forms which were sent out to all North Somerset households at the beginning of October.
- Council backs charity's adoption myth-busting
Local families are being urged to reconsider adoption following the release of a report highlighting adoption myths which are preventing people from coming forward.
- Be clear on cancer - blood in pee
A new NHS England-wide campaign has been launched to raise awareness of blood in pee as a symptom of bladder and kidney cancers.
- Remembering the Great War
As part of the commemoration of next year’s centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, North Somerset Council and contractor Glendale are giving free poppy seeds to town and parish councils and community groups early next year.
- The route to a successful carnival
It's carnival night in Weston-super-Mare on Friday 8 November and North Somerset Council will be working hard to make sure the town centre route is clear in time for the glittering procession.
- Bus service to offer free fares
Bus operator Abus will be offering free journeys for passengers on its 55 and X54 service (Nailsea to Bristol via Wraxall) from Monday 11 November to Wednesday 13 November prior to introducing normal paid services
- Help develop sporting opportunities for disabled players
A year on from the Paralympic Games, North Somerset Council is supporting local sports clubs, coaches and volunteers to develop new sporting prospects for disabled players.
- Pregnant women should get the jab
Pregnant women in North Somerset are being urged to protect themselves and their unborn babies from flu, by getting a free jab this autumn.
- Free travel on new bus service
Local residents and commuters can travel for free on a new bus service, which will provide vital connections to bus and rail routes for people living and working in North Somerset.
- Have your say on the LDO
A draft planning document aimed at simplifying and speeding up the process of development in a specific area to help businesses looking to invest is out for public consultation on 31 October.
- North Somerset Council celebrates sons and daughters!
A fun-filled day out for foster carers' children is being laid on by North Somerset Council to thank them for welcoming other children into their family.
- Preparations in place for forecast wet and windy weather
As high wind speeds and heavy rainfall are forecast for Sunday night into Monday morning, North Somerset Council is gearing up to deal with the anticipated disruption this could cause.
- North Somerset Council celebrates apprenticeship successes
A special event was held to celebrate the success of apprentices and former apprentices employed by North Somerset Council.
- New grants for sustainable travel employers
Employers who promote sustainable travel to their employees could be eligible for a new grant from North Somerset Council.
- Worsening financial situation faced by Council
Councillor Nigel Ashton, Leader of North Somerset Council, outlined the worsening financial challenge that the council faces at yesterday’s (Tuesday 22 October) meeting of the executive.
- Kids car safety checks
Motorists in Weston-super-Mare have been offered advice after checks were carried out on child safety in cars.
- Deadline for school places
Parents have until Thursday 31 October to apply for a secondary school place for their child for next September.
- Tropicana next steps to be decided by Council
North Somerset’s Executive has today agreed to put a proposal to Full Council next month which could allow The Trop (WsM) Ltd to test the viability of its scheme for the development of the seafront site in Weston-super-Mare.
- Instant Wit at Somerset Hall
The quick-fire comedy improvisation show Instant Wit will be dishing out a buffet of sketches, gags and surreal situations when it takes to the stage at Somerset Hall, Portishead on Thursday 7 November at 7.30pm
- Putting a stop to prejudiced-based crime
Two films have been launched designed to raise awareness of homophobic and transphobic crime and the importance of reporting it.
- Find out about the National Citizenship Service in North Somerset
An information event is being held in Clevedon next week about the National Citizenship Service
- Blue badge changes
Changes to legislation mean that some North Somerset Council employees will now have the power to seize blue badges if they are being misused.
- Walking works - report reveals how walking can save lives
The health walks programme in North Somerset, part of the Walking for Health national scheme, is calling for people to join them for a walk
- Road improvements during school holidays
Investment in North Somerset's roads continues with improvements on Knightstone Road and South Parade, Weston-super-Mare, ahead of this year’s carnival.
- Portishead Half Marathon road closures
There will be road closures in place on Sunday 20 October to make way for the Portishead Half Marathon.
- Encouraging taxi drivers to steer clear of loan sharks
A campaign to encourage people to steer clear of loan sharks is being supported by North Somerset Council.
- Young people's library survey
Libraries in North Somerset will be asking children and young people to take part in a library survey from Monday 21 October to Sunday 3 November.
- Woodspring Ramblers complete work to reopen walking route
Working with North Somerset Council, the Woodspring Ramblers Volunteer Group have completed extensive works to the footpath from Beach Rd to Elmsley Lane, Kewstoke.
- Rogue trader has to compensate victim
A rogue trader has had the possibility of imprisonment deferred to enable him to raise compensation for his elderly victim.
- Revealing Stories exhibition
An exhibition exploring the hidden social history of the local LGBT community is on at Weston's library.
- Fantastic journeys - adventures in learning!
North Somerset libraries across the district are taking part in this year’s Family Learning Festival from Saturday 19 October to Sunday 3 November.
- National Shared Lives Week
North Somerset Council will be supporting National Shared Lives Week on 19-27 October.
- Save the Children customer services at the Town Hall
New jobs have been brought to the Town Hall as North Somerset Council's support services partner Agilisys secured a contract to start delivering customer services for Save the Children.
- Hundreds sign up for new commuter coach service
Over 400 people have already registered their interest for a new commuter coach service which is set to launch next month.
- Tropicana Working Party holds first meeting
The Tropicana Working Party held its first meeting earlier today.
- Share your views on commuting
We have government funding to improve commuting in the region and want to hear your views.
- Scare in the Square: Halloween Family Fright Night
There will be scary Halloween happenings in Weston-super-Mare town centre on Thursday 31 October at the free Halloween Fright Night event.
- National Customer Service Week
North Somerset Council will be taking part in National Customer Service Week from 7 to 11 October.
- Noscars fever hits North Somerset
There was glamour and glitz as budding Spielbergs from primary, secondary and special schools from across the area donned ball gowns and tuxedos for the glittering Noscars ceremony...
- Have a safe Bonfire Night
Are you about to arrange a public firework display? Do you know you have a responsibility to operate a safe event under health and safety legislation for both your employees and members of the public?
- Weston Showcase wins prestigious award
North Somerset Council has won the Marketing Campaign of the Year at the North Somerset Business Leader Awards held on Thursday 26 September.
- Volunteers needed to lead the way to better health
The walking for health scheme in North Somerset is running a Health Walk Leaders Training Day on Tuesday 22 October 10am to 3pm at St Paul's Church Hall, Kewstoke, Weston-super-Mare.
- Make sure you can vote
Residents in North Somerset are being urged to look out for the electoral registration form which will be dropping on their doormats this week.
- Made in north somerset showcase goes from strength to strength
Get a headstart on your Christmas shopping this weekend at the ‘Made in North Somerset’ Showcase on 5 and 6 October.
- Clevedon police now based at Castlewood
The Clevedon Neighbourhood Police Team has moved to its new permanent base at Castlewood from today (Monday 30 September).
- Free careers advice
Free fortnightly careers advice sessions will be held in Weston Library, Town Hall, Weston-super-Mare from Friday 18 October.
- Road recycling schemes underway
A programme of money-saving road recycling schemes are underway in North Somerset following a successful trial earlier this year.
- Local couple quit smoking with Stoptober
The annual Stoptober campaign kicks off next week, where smokers are encouraged to go 28 days smokefree. To help others who are considering taking up the challenge, local couple Ross and Annette have decided to talk about their experience...
- October road closures at and around junction 21
A series of road closures has been announced at and around Weston’s M5 junction 21 as the Weston Package improvements motor into the final phase.
- Councillors to consider Tropicana options
A group of North Somerset councillors has been tasked to look at options for the future of the Tropicana site in Weston-super-Mare.
- Weekend road closures on Weston seafront
Due to the Weston Triathlon and Weston Half Marathon taking place this weekend, there will be road closures along Weston seafront.
- National Customer Service Week free public tours
As part of National Customer Service Week in October, we are hosting four free public tours to give residents the opportunity to have a look behind the scenes.
- Changes to bus services in North Somerset
Changes to buses in North Somerset are planned for Monday 4 November with new operators and new services.
- Support for single parents at Nailsea and Backwell Children's Centre
National Childbirth Trust (NCT) North Somerset and Nailsea and Backwell Children’s Centre are pleased to announce the relaunch of their single parents group.
- Fencing fun at The Campus
Fencing lessons for beginners will soon start at The Campus.
- Opportunity to run Weston Youth Centre
North Somerset Council is offering an opportunity to take over Weston Youth Centre.
- Road closure cancelled as Weston Package accelerates
The latest element of the £15m Weston Package transport improvement programme has been completed a day early, and means that a planned road closure can now be cancelled.
- South Weston - cycling and pedestrian improvements
To encourage more cycling and walking, North Somerset Council wants to construct an off road shared cycling and pedestrian route to the southern section of Winterstoke Road/Broadway in Weston-super-Mare.
- Tracing your roots
Free family history free advice sessions at the library in the Town Hall in Weston-super-Mare have proved so popular they are now going to be held every week.
- Road improvements B3130 Old Church Road, Clevedon
North Somerset Council's investment in its road network continues with improvements to the B3130 Old Church Road in Clevedon.
- Health trainers moving to Town Hall
North Somerset Council’s health trainers will be moving to the Town Hall at the end of September.
- Stoptober returns following success last year
Stoptober, England’s mass 28 day stop smoking attempt, is back following its huge success last year, which saw 160,000 people complete the challenge.
- The Great Bike Hike
An exciting new cycling event is taking place on Sunday 6 October from 10.45am to 2pm along Festival Way in Long Ashton.
- Councils pledge to work together
Council leaders across the wider Somerset area agreed to work more closely together to improve services and make savings at a meeting this week.
- Have your say on boundary changes
The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England is asking people across North Somerset to comment on its draft proposals for new council ward boundaries.
- Road improvements in Clevedon
Investment in North Somerset's roads continues with resurfacing, traffic sign replacement works and repairs to kerbs in Sixways, Albert Road and Alexandra Road in Clevedon, starting next week.
- Story times and Bookstart Rhymetimes are back!
Story times and Bookstart Rhymetimes are back at North Somerset libraries after the summer break.
- Flu protection for toddlers
Parents with young children are being urged to protect their toddlers against flu.
- Vote for your favourite park
Local people have until October 1 to vote for their favourite "Green Flag" green space.
- Time to apply for school places
Parents can apply from tomorrow (September 12) for a primary or secondary school place for children starting or changing school in September 2014.
- Drove Road to be resurfaced
Drove Road will be improved alongside the Weston Package works at Marchfields Way.
- Big Book Sale
Portishead Library will be holding a "Big Book Sale" on Saturday 21 September 2013 from 9.30am to 4pm and Sunday 22 September 2013 from 10.30am to 2.30pm.
- Tropicana decision
Following Secretary of State, Eric Pickles, MP decision not to grant conservation area consent for the demolition of The Tropicana pool and buildings the following statement has been issued by North Somerset Council's Executive....
- Appeal for more foster carers
North Somerset Council is launching a campaign to recruit more foster carers.
- Free 'Save with Jamie' for every library in North Somerset
Copies of a new cookbook from Jamie Oliver are gracing the shelves of every library in North Somerset.
- Charity drop at the Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will be supporting ‘The Big Drop’ in aid of Weston Hospicecare in September.
- Discounts for young people going by bus
There's still time for young people to take advantage of some great discounts when travelling by bus.
- Two months free travel offer on commuter coach service
Commuters travelling to north Bristol from North Somerset can now register for a new executive coach service, and enjoy free travel throughout November and December.
- Portishead recycling centre closed
Because of a large fire at a building in Valley Road, Portishead there is no access to our recycling centre there.
- Parking on track at Worle Station
A brand new car park for commuters is opening in Worle next week.
- Funds for high street revamp
Businesses across North Somerset have another chance to secure funding in a bid to spruce up the area's high streets.
- Free summer holiday fun!
If you’re wondering how to amuse the kids this summer, then look no further than one of North Somerset Council's free family fun days in the parks.
- Stop smoking services prove their worth
The first decade of NHS stop smoking services in England has been declared a success after research shows they had an increasing impact in helping smokers stop.
- Best selling author at The Campus
International best-selling author Lesley Pearse will be appearing at The Campus on 16 September to talk about her writing.
- StreetGames hailed a success
North Somerset Council’s StreetGames brings fun, sport and volunteering opportunities to young people in disadvantaged communities.
- Traffic improvements on Marchfields Way
From Tuesday 27 August there will be a lane closure in place along part of Marchfields Way for four days while the contractors install a deep drain.
- New coach service set to make life easy for commuters
We are investing in a new commuter coach service provided by coach operator The Kings Ferry Ltd that will link Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon and Portishead with major employment areas in North Bristol.
- North Somerset maintains strong GCSE track record
North Somerset is once again celebrating the success of its secondary schools. The GCSE results published today show that North Somerset has maintained its strong track record.
- Made in North Somerset
‘Made in North Somerset’ - a festival of local producers, artists and artisans will take place from 14 September to 6 October.
- Unique access all areas adventure for young musicians
Five talented young musicians have had the unprecedented opportunity of experiencing life with one of the country’s leading orchestras.
- New bus service links North Somerset villages
People living in North Somerset will soon benefit from a new bus service which will connect bus and rail routes and make commuting easier.
- Bus service 121 changes
Bakers Dolphin have informed North Somerset Council that as from Monday 4 November they intend to discontinue the contract they have to operate bus service 121 from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare via Wrington, Sandford and Banwell on Mondays to Saturdays.
- Telephone problems
We a currently experiencing temporary problems with telephone calls into our contact centre using the 01934 dialing code.
- Budding builders should head for the library
Budding builders can now practise for their Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment (CSCS) test at a number of North Somerset libraries, thanks to westonworks, the one stop skills and job shop.
- North Somerset celebrates A-level results
North Somerset is once again celebrating its A-level results across all its 11-19 schools and Weston College.
- Restoring Marine Lake, Clevedon
The restoration of the historic Marine Lake in Clevedon has moved a step forward with the preparation of a master plan to show the long term potential of the site.
- Improvements to the B3130 Clevedon Road, Tickenham
As part of its continuing investment in roads, North Somerset Council is spending £90,000 on improvements to the B3130 Clevedon Road, Tickenham.
- First Aid at Work courses
Two first aid courses organised by North Somerset Council are being held at The Campus in Weston-super-Mare.
- Have your say on solar farms
North Somerset Council is currently consulting on policy guidance for the development of solar farms or solar photovoltaic (PV) arrays in North Somerset.
- Sign up for fairer funding
Leaders of three of the main political groups on North Somerset Council are putting their collective weight behind a petition to central government appealing for fairer funding in rural areas.
- Tree damage in Grove Park
North Somerset Council is urging the public to report any incidents of dogs being allowed to damage trees.
- New inclusive sports clubs start in North Somerset
One year on from the Paralympic Games, North Somerset Council is supporting local sports clubs, coaches and volunteers to develop new opportunities for disabled players, with a number of activities starting this summer and autumn.
- Website maintenance
We will be carrying out some essential maintenance work this afternoon which means our website will be off-line for about an hour from 3pm.
- BBC's One Show is coming to Weston!
The One Show is coming to Weston-super-Mare for the first One Show Summer Festival!
- J21 improvements
There will be a series of lane and road closures around the M5 junction 21 in Weston next month as work moves forward to improve the flow of traffic and build new lanes.
- Investing in roads
North Somerset Council is using specialised computer surveying to prioritise repairs to prolong the life of its roads.
- Free summer holiday fun!
If you’re wondering how to amuse the kids this summer, then look no further than one of North Somerset Council's free family fun days in the parks. They're held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays throughout the summer.
- Get back to work on an electric bike!
Westonworks has two electric bikes for loan to people who have been unemployed but have found work and need help with transport.
- Weston-super-Mare North Worle by-election
Here is the result of the Weston-super-Mare North Worle by-election for a seat on North Somerset Council.
- Creepy House Summer Reading Challenge
Children aged four to 11 and their parents or carers are invited to their local North Somerset library to take part in the spine-tingling adventure, the Creepy House Summer Reading Challenge.
- Local bus event in Weston-super-Mare
North Somerset Council is teaming up with local bus operator Crosville Motor Services in a roadshow event on Weston-super-Mare seafront this Saturday (27 July).
- Free wi-fi in libraries
Free wi-fi will be available in every library across North Somerset from 1 August.
- New regulations for rogue landlords
Tough new licensing requirements are to be brought in to tackle all poor quality and badly managed houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) in a part of Weston-super-Mare.
- Holiday fun at the Campus
The Campus in Locking Castle will have lots on offer this summer to keep children of all ages entertained during the school holidays. Whether you’re looking for something sporty or creative, they will have something for everyone to enjoy.
- Heatwave advice
With the high temperatures expected to contuinue for the next few days North Somerset Council is urging people to follow the advice being given by Public Health England.
- New chief exec for North Somerset
North Somerset Council has appointed a new chief executive to succeed Graham Turner, who retires in November following 12 years in the role. The appointment was made this evening at a meeting of the Full Council, following a rigorous recruitment process.
- Essential system maintenance
Due to essential maintenance this morning, some of our on-line services may be off-line.
- Council needs locals to apply for adoption
North Somerset Council is speeding up the adoption process and asking for local families to apply following the introduction of new guidelines from the Department for Education.
- Road improvements on the A370
North Somerset Council is to invest £160,000 later this month to improve the road surface on the A370 Long Ashton bypass.
- Sports Jam
An afternoon of free activities is on offer to local people on Sunday 28 July at Bournville Primary School, Weston-super-Mare from 12 noon - 4pm.
- Volleyball champs roll into town
The Volleyball England Beach Tour (VEBT) comes to Weston on Saturday July 6 and Sunday July 7.
- Health grant for community projects
Grants are now available for communtiy initiatives that encourage young people to lead healthier lives.
- Farmers sentenced for disease prevention failure
North Somerset Council's Trading Standards Service has successfully prosecuted two farmers for the wilful disregard of disease control laws.
- Investment in roads continues - surface dressing
North Somerset Council will begin a programme of road improvements across the district in July, with its surface dressing programme.
- Babies love their food - photo competition
North Somerset Council's children's centres are holding a photo competition, to help launch Breastfeeding Awareness Activity Week which runs from Thursday 1 August to Wednesday 7 August.
- M5 sliproad closure for junction 21 improvement works
The northbound exit slip road at junction 21 of the M5 motorway at Weston-super-Mare will be closed for three hours overnight on Tuesday 9 July.
- Portishead rail services update
Plans to re-open the Portishead rail line and re-introduce passenger train services are still being progressed.
- 121 bus discounts
Young people can take advantage of some discounts this summer when travelling by bus.
- Winscombe Library re-opens
Winscombe Library has been transformed and visitors will find a bright, airy space when the building reopens on 2 July at 10.30am.
- Guide to an active life
The latest guide to sports activities across North Somerset in now available.
- Community resilience volunteers required
North Somerset Council is looking to appoint a small number of dynamic and charismatic volunteers to help make communities safer and stronger as part of its Community Resilience North Somerset programme.
- Road repairs in Congresbury and Langford
North Somerset Council continues to invest in its road network with essential road repairs in Stock Lane, Langford and Brinsea Road, Congresbury starting from Monday 1 July
- Community covenant signed
Marching bands, military vehicles, air displays and live music all feature in this year’s Armed Forces Day on Saturday (June 29.)
- Supporting an active life
Go4Life is calling upon residents to get inspired and get active with the Get Active Buddy Scheme.
- Follow the fruit route
Get on your saddle and find the fruity clues along the Strawberry Line on Sunday 23 June
- Alarm raised over cold callers
North Somerset Council's trading standards service is warning residents to be cautious when dealing with security system sellers who cold call.
- National Bookstart week
Children can come and discover the magic of fairy tales and the enjoyment of reading with the Bookstart programme in libraries across North Somerset as part of National Bookstart Week (24 - 30 June).
- Top skiers head for Weston
The national water ski racing championships come to Weston on Sunday (June 16).
- Sloppy slipper swapping
Age UK staff will be helping residents to ‘put their best foot forward’ at a sloppy slipper swapping on Tuesday (18 June).
- New bus service improves commuter links from Portishead to Bristol
Portishead commuters, shoppers, families and day trippers now enjoy better bus links with the new X2 and X3 service leaving the town centre for Bristol up to every 15 minutes.
- Toll Road works
Essential road safety work to cut back vegetation alongside the Toll Road between Weston-super-Mare and Kewstoke is set to start on Monday (10 June).
- Recycle your unwanted electrical items
During National Recycling Week (17 to 22 June) North Somerset Council will be urging residents to donate their old and unwanted electrical items so they can be recycled and re-processed in the correct way and not end up going to landfill.
- Reading Well - Books on Prescription
Reading Well Books on Prescription is an exciting new public library health and well-being service being launched in libraries across England.
- Hooptastic fitness!
Looking for a fun way to keep fit and make friends? Would you like to tone up without realising how hard you are working? If so the new HoopPixie Hula dance classes at The Campus in Locking Castle could be for you!