Home > Housing > Housing benefit and council tax support

Housing benefit and council tax support

Housing benefit and council tax support are available for people on low incomes to help them cover the cost of their rent.

Visit our top tasks and frequently asked questions page to see what the majority of our customers are asking, and how to contact us if you have a query

Housing benefit and council tax self service

Our council tax and benefit services are only available online.

To be able to access these services customers will have to create their own self service account.
To create an account you will need to have a valid email address. If you do not have an email, download our guide on how to set up an email account (pdf).
Having your own self-serve account means you can access your information on council tax and housing benefit at time that suits you 24-hours-a-day. For customers who are unable to access the internet or require assistance to set up a self-serve account, help is available at:

  • customer services in the town hall, Weston-super-Mare
  • our libraries (there are computers and free internet access in all our libraries) - find out about your local library
  • some of our partner agencies such as the citizens advice bureau, Alliance Homes and Knightstone Housing

Register for self serve and manage your account online today.

Making a claim

Our claim form is completely interactive and very easy to use. It will only ask you the questions relevant to your circumstances and let you know exactly what evidence you need to provide to complete your application. You may be eligible for a second adult rebate even if you are not entitled to housing or council tax benefit. Find out about claims and payments.

Telling us when your circumstances change

Telling us about any changes is now much easier and straight forward. If you have set up an account, you only need to log in, click on the link and complete the interactive form.

You must tell us about any change in your circumstances straightaway so you don't lose out on any money that you should be receiving or end up having to pay money back at a later date if you've been paid too much. A change in circumstances can include a change of income, a change in the people who live at an address, a temporary absence including a hospital stay or if you are moving home. Find out more about telling us when your circumstances change.

Welfare reform

The introduction of the government’s Welfare Reform Act means significant changes to the way welfare support is calculated, managed and paid and will affect anyone who receives welfare benefits. Find out about welfare reform.
If you are eligible to claim universal credit you will no longer be able to claim housing benefit but you will still need to claim council tax support.

Reporting fraud

The majority of benefit claimants in North Somerset are honest but we have a responsibility to tackle those who are not. If you suspect someone is committing fraud against the council you can visit the Gov.UK website to report it. 


If you don't agree with our decision about your benefit, you can ask us to reconsider. In some cases you will have the opportunity to appeal again if you are still unhappy with our decision. For more information read our housing and council tax appeals FAQs.

Information for landlords

For more information about how claims and eligibility affect landlords read our landlords FAQs.